• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357 magnum loads

I like 21.6grains of H110 or W296–same powder—with a 125 grain Semi Jacketed HP and a Small Rifle Primer in once fired or new brass. It works quite well out of my 6 inch S&W 28 at 1610fps. It does not recoil as much as you might think.

That is my max power load—work your load up carefully, what is safe in one gun, may not be safe in another gun.

treat plated bullets the same as cast lead bullets. if you are looking for a fmj hp bullet go over to the zero bullet company (roze distribution). they have a good selection of pistol bullets. real fmj bullets cheaper than plated or cast lead. i was using the x-treme plated 357 fp bullet in nra lever action pistol cartridge silhouette matches untill i found the zero bullet. one thousand 38/357 fmj mag bullets with free shipping is only $107.00. what is not to like at that price. for full mag loads look at 2400 and/or h110 powder. i use titegroup, mag pistol primer, 158 gr hp bullet in a marlin 1894cd for my match load. when working up loads i would use a chronograph. also i would check several different reloading books to get a reference.

I ran some informal tests comparing W296/H110 against 4227, and HS-6 with the 125 grain bullets loaded at what appeared to be each powder’s max load. W296/H110 was the clear winner in my gun when considering either accuracy, or power. Amazingly, W296/H110 also had less recoil.

The load data references indicate that 2400 might be a good choice with heavier bullets.

Just get some jacketed hollow points and go about your business. Max velocity with 296/110 or Enforcer; pretty close with 2400. About 14 gr. of 2400 and a 158 gr. bullet will do pretty much whatever needs doing, against two-legged varmints. Superbly accurate in my guns, too, but nasty out of a snubbie. Giant fireball; vicious recoil.

If you want to feel the power on the cheap, get some 180 gr. lead bullets, and load 11.0 gr. 2400 for about 1100 fps (1128 in my 6"). Shouldn't lead (didn't for me), no gas check needed (for me). Plenty of satisfying thump there.

A word of warning: do not try to lighten up the loading of these really slow powders to below the "starting charge" in your data book. You'll get hangfires and/or incomplete ignition. If you start too low and work up, you will reach a point with a mighty surprise, when suddenly it all starts burning and the velocity shoots up a few hundred fps. Basically, the powder won't all light if you don't use a full charge. You'll have unburned powder in the case and barrel afterwords; it's very obvious. These slow powders do not have much flexibility.

If you don't want full power, use Unique for mid-range and 231 or Bullseye for really light. In my experiments with .357 and .44, I have found that below 800 fps, the loads just aren't consistent. They don't shoot tight groups. Whatever those bullseye shooters used to do with 2.7 gr. of Bullseye and a 148 gr. wadcutter eludes me. I have to get to 3.3 gr. to get a tight group with the same weight bullet, though mine are cast not swaged.

Back
Top Bottom