• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 revolver for shtf?

When I first left the Corps I worked armored trucks in the NY metropolitan area.
I carried my brothers S&W model 28 with a 6 inch barrel, since I didn't own a handgun of my own at the time.
I liked that gun so much I own one today.

One day in the ready room a couple of guys were talking about guns, this was in 1982, so the "new" high cap 9mm pistols had pretty much just come out. I think there was 3 choices at the time, the Beretta that went on to become the service pistol, the Browning High Power and the S&W 459.

One of the fellas had a 17 round Ram Line magazine in his 459 and the other had a nice Dan Wesson revolver. The guy with the 9mm said take the bullets out of there for a minute, so the revolver guy unloaded. In the meantime he stripped those 17 rounds out of that magazine. He put those six .357's in one hand and those seventeen 9mm in the other.

Then he said if the crap hits the fan do you want the bullets in this hand or the bullets in this hand to the revolver guy.
The revolver guy smiled and shook his head and it made an impression on me.
When I had enough money I bought the S&W 459, it was a great gun and served me well.

Now I own a few S&W revolvers and I love everyone of them.
I carried a S&W model 37 for years concealed, one pound fully loaded, you could forget you had it on you.....

But I'll never forget that conversation in the ready room when working armored trucks, so I'd still go with the magazine fed, double stack pistol every time in a SHTF scenario.....

IMG_0432.JPG

S&W 686 4" for me.

But what if one breaks, parts available?

Parts will not be "available" for either unless you stockpile them, however having to repair a quality SS revolver is a moot point.

Really what are the odds that a quality revolver will actually break? Yes they have complicated internals, but the pieces are solid and just don't wear out under non-abusive use. When loaded and "at rest" the parts of a revolver are not under stress so there is no wear letting it sit in a drawer for years. If lubrication fails all you really have to do is pull harder.

To wear out a revolver you have to shoot excessive amounts of ammo. You would not be "playing" like this in a SHTF scenario. Ah but what, on the off chance it DOES break, well then pick up your other one. Do you really think your gonna wear out 2 revolvers in your lifetime?

However I think the author misses the main point for not choosing a revolver: Suppression. In and us vs. them scenario it would be important not to alert everyone within miles of your activities.

Ruger revolvers are pretty solid. Unless you drop it I don't see what would break. Maybe order a couple of extra springs or screws in case you lose one.
The ultimate revolver though was the Medusa. No longer made but were designed to fire and extract all .38/9mm rounds rimmed or not. So your looking at .380, 9 makarov, 9parabellum, 9 largo, 9x21,9x23 , .38 super auto, .38 S&W, 38 special, .357 magnum to name a few. A test I read a Lon time ago said it would even fire necked down 9mm stuff like 7.62x25 and 7.62 lugar ect... They also made a conversion cylinder for full size Smiths.

Parts will not be "available" for either unless you stockpile them, however having to repair a quality SS revolver is a moot point.

Really what are the odds that a quality revolver will actually break? Yes they have complicated internals, but the pieces are solid and just don't wear out under non-abusive use. When loaded and "at rest" the parts of a revolver are not under stress so there is no wear letting it sit in a drawer for years. If lubrication fails all you really have to do is pull harder.

To wear out a revolver you have to shoot excessive amounts of ammo. You would not be "playing" like this in a SHTF scenario.
Ah but what, on the off chance it DOES break, well then pick up your other one. Do you really think your gonna wear out 2 revolvers in your life time?

However I think the author misses the main point for not choosing a revolver: Suppression. In and us vs. them scenario it would be important not to alert everyone within miles of your activities.

Your right! I myself under any circumstances would never wear a quality revolver out. And yes shooting surpressed would be the way to go, after using a surpressed firearms I really don't want to hear those loud guns! After all, if the world goes belly up it would benefit to be quieter, especially if you're hunting. I've read hunting articles telling of gun shots are like ringing the dinner bell to call in bears and other predators .

Back
Top Bottom