• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 revolver for shtf?

I would think in that kind of situation I would still prefer the 9 for nothing more than 17 rounds vs 6 is a very easy argument. 9mm is also probably the most common ammo out there other than .22 and I would bet you would still find more 9mm in certain stores. that being said if you wanted to use a revolver I'd go for a ruger security six, A. you are NOT breaking that thing, they were overbuilt to the extreme and will take more punishment than almost anyone can put out B. all that being said if it were to break they are pretty simple and you can completely take one down with a dime.

Ruger revolvers are pretty solid. Unless you drop it I don't see what would break. Maybe order a couple of extra springs or screws in case you lose one.
The ultimate revolver though was the Medusa. No longer made but were designed to fire and extract all .38/9mm rounds rimmed or not. So your looking at .380, 9 makarov, 9parabellum, 9 largo, 9x21,9x23 , .38 super auto, .38 S&W, 38 special, .357 magnum to name a few. A test I read a Lon time ago said it would even fire necked down 9mm stuff like 7.62x25 and 7.62 lugar ect... They also made a conversion cylinder for full size Smiths.

I remember seeing those. I think it was something like 16 different available calibers could be used at the time.

I found this article interesting and I'm rethinking my shtf scenario. I've always been under the impression revolver's were more, most reliable type handguns . But what if one breaks, parts available? Skill's to repair revolver's takes on a whole new meaning! Repairing revolver's to today's modern poly guns is a no brainier! Plus availability of 357 Magnum ammo is another issue compared to 9mm, or 40 s&w which is much more popular ammo people have around. Also I liked the writer's points about running into a bear with only the 357 revolver, it's better than nothing. What do you guys think about having today's modern poly striker fired handguns versus a revolver?

http://newsletter.alloutdoor.com/link.php?M=431407&N=502&L=91146&F=H
If I had a 8shot .357 and a lever in the same caliber would leave a man fairly well armed.

In the SHTF scenario, you have to consider available resources. The number of .38/.357 caliber revolvers in the USA is beyond calculation. The are 50 year old revolvers in nightstands all across the United States. There are inventories of S&W revolvers in every pawn shop, gun store, and other retail venue.

Look at the classifieds here, people are selling 50-75 year old revolvers that are still in excellent working condition.

See what jhvaughan2. I'm willing to bet you have never a "shot out" first class revolver. But the advice columns are full of comments about "take your Glock to Smyrna, and they will fix it up for you." You won't find a single comment, "take your revolver to Springfield and they will make it just like the newest generation that supposedly fixes all the things wrong with the previous generations."

If I was really serious about SHTF, I'd send one of my S&W off and have the cylinder modified to accept 9mm ammo in moon clips.

As far as the 6 .357 vs. 17 9mm, it really depends on the shooter. The comparison ignores the lethality of the rounds, and the skill of the shooter. Try this -- give both of them a box of 50 cartridges and see who gets all 50 downrange firs

You can argue this either way, reminds me of the "9mm vs. 40 " discussion. I have a 9mm around just because I know in the current situation the ammo will be readily available. But my go to bedroom and truck gun is a .357 which will outlast me.

In the SHTF scenario, you have to consider available resources. The number of .38/.357 caliber revolvers in the USA is beyond calculation. The are 50 year old revolvers in nightstands all across the United States. There are inventories of S&W revolvers in every pawn shop, gun store, and other retail venue.

Look at the classifieds here, people are selling 50-75 year old revolvers that are still in excellent working condition.

See what jhvaughan2. I'm willing to bet you have never a "shot out" first class revolver. But the advice columns are full of comments about "take your Glock to Smyrna, and they will fix it up for you." You won't find a single comment, "take your revolver to Springfield and they will make it just like the newest generation that supposedly fixes all the things wrong with the previous generations."

If I was really serious about SHTF, I'd send one of my S&W off and have the cylinder modified to accept 9mm ammo in moon clips.

As far as the 6 .357 vs. 17 9mm, it really depends on the shooter. The comparison ignores the lethality of the rounds, and the skill of the shooter. Try this -- give both of them a box of 50 cartridges and see who gets all 50 downrange firs

You can argue this either way, reminds me of the "9mm vs. 40 " discussion. I have a 9mm around just because I know in the current situation the ammo will be readily available. But my go to bedroom and truck gun is a .357 which will outlast me.

Guys that hold up armored trucks don't show up with revolvers and there's a lot to be said for fire superiority.....

Your right! I myself under any circumstances would never wear a quality revolver out. And yes shooting surpressed would be the way to go, after using a surpressed firearms I really don't want to hear those loud guns! After all, if the world goes belly up it would benefit to be quieter, especially if you're hunting. I've read hunting articles telling of gun shots are like ringing the dinner bell to call in bears and other predators .
And I for one have never heard a quiet 357 Mag.

Back
Top Bottom