• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357 Sig?

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I've been shooting a friends Glock in .357 Sig lately, and I thought about maybe looking into getting one. Being a bottleneck case means lubing the brass, or using two sizing dies as I've read some are doing. Are any of you here loading these? Which method are you using? This may be enough to make me pass on a pistol in this caliber. I probably have a couple hundred pieces of mixed brass, nickeled and standard. They're just sitting there, waiting for something to do? Any ideas?

I have held out too due to the bottle neck reloading requirements. I would like to hear from someone reloading this round.

I've stayed away due to the bottleneck. If there were some truly exceptional gun, unique to the caliber, I might do it. For just another Glock? No way. If you must have that kind of velocity out of a semi-auto, how about 10mm?

The temptation has been all the 9 mm bullets I have, the brass I have, and yea, cause I ain't got one! I'm honest with myself. My wants outweigh my sense much more often than I like to admit. Plus, I'm more than a little curious as to what others may have come up with. I really can't see me lubing handgun brass for sizing. It would be like loading for another AR .223/5.56. I enjoy loading for rifles, just not hundreds in one sitting. You'd likely need to watch the case length and such just like on the .223 too. The more I think about it, the less appealing it sounds. This may be a very big part of why they ain't more popular with the high volume pistolero's. If any of you can use this brass, let me know. If not I'll throw it in my recycling coffee cans. I checked with the folks in Carrollton a week or two ago, and they said scrap brass was bringing $1.50/lb. I may have enough to get me a biscuit?

Last edited:
The temptation has been all the 9 mm bullets I have, the brass I have, and yea, cause I ain't got one! I'm honest with myself. My wants outweigh my sense much more often than I like to admit. Plus, I'm more than a little curious as to what others may have come up with. I really can't see me lubing handgun brass for sizing. It would be like loading for another AR .223/5.56. I enjoy loading for rifles, just not hundreds in one sitting. You'd likely need to watch the case length and such just like on the .223 too. The more I think about it, the less appealing it sounds. This may be a very big part of why they ain't more popular with the high volume pistolero's. If any of you can use this brass, let me know. If not I'll throw it in my recycling coffee cans. I checked with the folks in Carrollton a week or two ago, and they said scrap brass was bringing $1.50/lb. I may have enough to bet me a biscuit?

38 Super?

I bought a Taurus 1911 in 38 Super a few weeks back. I was looking at 9 mm 1911's when I ran across these still on sale. I had to get an undersized sizing die to get some brands of brass to hold 9 mm/.355 bullets tight enough to prevent setback, but it has been worth it. It'll shoot everything I've tried from .355 through .357 great. It's a near one holer with 125 grain .357 jacketed hollow points. It has become my favorite "truck gun."

Are not the ballistics of 38 Super and .357 Sig similar. You just can omit the necked cartridge requirements with it though. 38 Super is a real hot rod of a semi-auto round.

Buy some Winchester Ranger 127 +P+ for the 9mms. You're only giving up 100fps compared to the .357 Sig, get extra capacity and don't have to change a thing.

.357 is great when someone else is paying your ammo bill. Reloading bottleneck pistol cartridges sucks.

Back
Top Bottom