• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357SIG: What’s the point of this cartridge?

For me it mostly comes down to foot pounds in energy, and, 357 Sig shines in this category. I have also seen where the .357 SIG does a great job of using up most of its energy inside the intended target, with very little over penetration. I'm talking about real tissue with bone, not ballistic gelatin.

It also averages somewhere around 1,400 fps, and has approx 4" of drop at 100 yards. Pretty good.

I believe .357 SIG is the round the FBI intended to come up with after they canned the 9mm. They ended up going with .40, before .357 came along a couple years later.

For me it mostly comes down to foot pounds in energy, and, 357 Sig shines in this category. I have also seen where the .357 SIG does a great job of using up most of its energy inside the intended target, with very little over penetration. I'm talking about real tissue with bone, not ballistic gelatin.

It also averages somewhere around 1,400 fps, and has approx 4" of drop at 100 yards. Pretty good.

I believe .357 SIG is the round the FBI intended to come up with after they canned the 9mm. They ended up going with .40, before .357 came along a couple years later.

Still back to 9mm though. Quick, repeatable hits on target matter more than a decent increase in ft lb

The new science of shooting denim clad jello would indicate that 9mm is just as effective. You’ll never convince me that more energy dump isnt better at stopping bad guys, critters, etc.

That said, I carry a 9 because I’m a recoil sensitive snowflake and I’d rather shoot something I can hit with. However, a G31 is high on my wish list.

Back
Top Bottom