• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.357SIG: What’s the point of this cartridge?

If you can shoot a handgun accurtley , I would pick the 357 sig over a 9 anytime ( reason u see more LE agencys going to the 9mm is ammo cost plus some men& women have problems quailfy with hot caliber round main reason GA LE statewide has changed over to the 9mm

That ain’t exactly true. Look at the results of the FBI testing with several loads that caused them to switch from .40S&W back to 9mm.

I don’t doubt that some agencies are switching due to cost of ammo, or ease of shooting, but not all are doing it for those reasons, or at least not for those reasons alone.

That ain’t exactly true. Look at the results of the FBI testing with several loads that caused them to switch from .40S&W back to 9mm.

I don’t doubt that some agencies are switching due to cost of ammo, or ease of shooting, but not all are doing it for those reasons, or at least not for those reasons alone.
Testing gets the results wanted. As long as you’ve been in Govt service I would expect you to understand this.
If it wasn’t for cost and ease of shooting for the more diminutive in the ranks than each sub agency would have ammo specificity suited for the primary purpose and not a one size fits all cartridge.

All these ballistic test are total horse**** !
They are set up to attempt to achieve 9MM DEFENSIVE AMMO RESULTS from every other caliber. And when they achieve it, they say there is no use for the other calibers. Its all just stupid and weird.
What's next ? Are we going to compare 7.62 NATO against a 9mm and declare it an over penetrator ?
Sometimes when a car gets in the way, I may not want to give a ****.
A brick wall doesn't make me want to make up with the guy Im shooting at.
And if hes in another room from the one Im in, I may want to turn that room into he** too !
When it get down to busting sheetrock, breaking glass, splintering saplings, and peeling steel give me .40 S&W, .357 SIG and 10mm.
Now if I had to shoot in in the checkout at Walmart, yeah give me a 9 mm with defensive ammo, Why stop there ? Give me a 380.
All Im saying is that when all of these calibers are loaded to (their) (offensive) capabilities they leave 9mm in the dust.

I have to say that I really don't see the point in a .357 sig on a plane though. Unless....Oh ! I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Testing gets the results wanted. As long as you’ve been in Govt service I would expect you to understand this.
If it wasn’t for cost and ease of shooting for the more diminutive in the ranks than each sub agency would have ammo specificity suited for the primary purpose and not a one size fits all cartridge.

I’ve been in government service long enough to know that isn’t the case every time.

All these ballistic test are total horse**** !
They are set up to attempt to achieve 9MM DEFENSIVE AMMO RESULTS from every other caliber. And when they achieve it, they say there is no use for the other calibers. Its all just stupid and weird.
What's next ? Are we going to compare 7.62 NATO against a 9mm and declare it an over penetrator ?
Sometimes when a car gets in the way, I may not want to give a ****.
A brick wall doesn't make me want to make up with the guy Im shooting at.
And if hes in another room from the one Im in, I may want to turn that room into he** too !
When it get down to busting sheetrock, breaking glass, splintering saplings, and peeling steel give me .40 S&W, .357 SIG and 10mm.
Now if I had to shoot in in the checkout at Walmart, yeah give me a 9 mm with defensive ammo, Why stop there ? Give me a 380.
All Im saying is that when all of these calibers are loaded to (their) (offensive) capabilities they leave 9mm in the dust.

I have to say that I really don't see the point in a .357 sig on a plane though. Unless....Oh ! I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Where’s my “roll my eyes” emoji.......

We had some very specific reasons for adopting, then sticking with .357SIG as long as we did. I’m not discussing them here, although I do talk about it in some of my classes.

I’ve been in government service long enough to know that isn’t the case every time.
Been privy to the inside discussions/decisions in administrations, cost is always tantamount until a failure of some sort. Like shootouts where tactic and weapon systems failed drastically.
I think 9mm is a great choice for most jobs in LE. I has checks in most of the little boxes.
But I think each sub agency should pick ammo where it fits into their primary missions.
Some missions primarily need ammo that penetrates a vehicle and maintains lethal energy, others need low pressure expansion due to the crowded confines and damage to the surroundings, such as buses and planes, or certain structures.
I don’t believe the one size fits all is the only way to go.

Where’s my “roll my eyes” emoji.......

We had some very specific reasons for adopting, then sticking with .357SIG as long as we did. I’m not discussing them here, although I do talk about it in some of my classes.

I really do think I understand why. I never considered it before but if that's what it takes to possibly save thousands of lives...
Can you say what ammo you carry ?

Back
Top Bottom