• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

375 or 416

Take a look at the 375 Remington Ultra Mag. If you hand load you can get the same trajectory as a 180 grain 308 using a 300 grain bullet. That will help a lot if you end up with a longer range shot opportunity.

BTW, that load has more energy than a 458 Win Mag.
Yeah when I got my 375 ruger i wanted a 375 RUM but they were hard to find back then. Idk about now though

I took my .375 Ruger to Africa in 2007 and have killed a few dozen animals with it since then. It is a big hammer and is very accurate. I love it and the 270 grain Hornady bullet. I would take one to Alaska with no hesitation. It has a similar trajectory as a .30-06.

Yeah when I got my 375 ruger i wanted a 375 RUM but they were hard to find back then. Idk about now though
There don't seem to be many available now, so a custom build would probably be needed. It looks like they are out of production.

Another thought would be the good old .338 Win Mag. Lots of these rifles around with easily available ammunition. Have no doubt, they are a hammer. There are several loads that run more than 4000lbs of muzzle energy. Most 375 H&H loads only exceed the 338 energy by a couple hundred lbs.

The exception I have found to that is the 375 H&H Hornady Superformance round at 4700lbs. :shocked: I'd have to check MV on that round before I believe it. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom