• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

38 reloading question

Lobo1,

Sorry this is so long.
Just a few things

Although, I do not reload Extreme Bullets I have never personally heard bad things about the company.

I reload the Rainier 125Gr.JHP using a nickel R/P case (see Photo 1)
The projectile is .536 in length, there is no cannelure, and I seat/crimp to 1.470
This round I use HS-6 with 6.8 grs. The seat is slightly above MIN OAL (based on manual).

I reload the Hornady 125 Gr. XTP using a nickel R/P case (see Photo 2)
The projectile is .546 in length, there is a cannelure and I seat/crimp to 1.445.
This round I use VV-N340 with 6.2 grs. The seat is slightly above MIN OAL (based on manual).

As you can see I load “middle of the road” due to 4 shooters in the family and 2 of them are woman. The above rounds are accurate and comfortable to shoot. I do not own a chronograph so I do not know the FPS. I do know they will clear a 2 inch and 4 inch barrel both in 38 and 357. I also know my wife and daughter can shoot hundreds of these rounds at a single range day and not complain.

I have worked up, loaded and shot several thousand rounds of the above loads with no gun or case issues (other than the occasional bad primer). So I am comfortable where my OALs are set.

I do not want to derail or start and argument in your thread. However, based on your post you are loading HP-38 4.9 grs. In Modern Reloading this load is a high side load in a standard 38 and “middle of the road” for +P rounds. I do not have an engineering degree nor have I ever worked for a bullet manufacturer but, I am positive those COAL/OAL are there for a reason.

One more thing………. See Photo 3

I like the RCBS carbide dies the best for 38/357. Although, I do not seat/crimp at the same time (I do it in 2 steps) if I
wanted to with theses dies I could.
I also have the Lee Speed Die for 357. I use this when I am loading something “special” in 357 and not just a plinking round.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Lobo1,

Sorry this is so long.
Just a few things

Although, I do not reload Extreme Bullets I have never personally heard bad things about the company.

I reload the Rainier 125Gr.JHP using a nickel R/P case (see Photo 1)
The projectile is .536 in length, there is no cannelure, and I seat/crimp to 1.470
This round I use HS-6 with 6.8 grs. The seat is slightly above MIN OAL (based on manual).

I reload the Hornady 125 Gr. XTP using a nickel R/P case (see Photo 2)
The projectile is .546 in length, there is a cannelure and I seat/crimp to 1.445.
This round I use VV-N340 with 6.2 grs. The seat is slightly above MIN OAL (based on manual).

As you can see I load “middle of the road” due to 4 shooters in the family and 2 of them are woman. The above rounds are accurate and comfortable to shoot. I do not own a chronograph so I do not know the FPS. I do know they will clear a 2 inch and 4 inch barrel both in 38 and 357. I also know my wife and daughter can shoot hundreds of these rounds at a single range day and not complain.

I have worked up, loaded and shot several thousand rounds of the above loads with no gun or case issues (other than the occasional bad primer). So I am comfortable where my OALs are set.

I do not want to derail or start and argument in your thread. However, based on your post you are loading HP-38 4.9 grs. In Modern Reloading this load is a high side load in a standard 38 and “middle of the road” for +P rounds. I do not have an engineering degree nor have I ever worked for a bullet manufacturer but, I am positive those COAL/OAL are there for a reason.

One more thing………. See Photo 3

I like the RCBS carbide dies the best for 38/357. Although, I do not seat/crimp at the same time (I do it in 2 steps) if I
wanted to with theses dies I could.
I also have the Lee Speed Die for 357. I use this when I am loading something “special” in 357 and not just a plinking round.

View attachment 594580 View attachment 594581 View attachment 594582

Hey, don't worry about it being a long posting. I read every word and sometimes multiple times. My Sierra loading data shows the HP-38 at 4.9 grains to be middle of the road for 38 spcl and I have shot several thousand rounds at this load with no problem. BUT my manual is pretty old. I have been contemplating buying a newer manual because I know the technology and concept of reloading changes constantly. Also this is the first time I have loaded Extreme bullets in 38. Have loaded bunches in 357 magnum with no problems. This particular issue I had with this was a dangerous and stupid mistake on my part. I had the max COAL of 1.550" on my mind and I somehow managed to set my seating die to that. I have been reloading for 9-10 years now and have never made such a stupid mistake. It won't happen again though.

happens to everyone

I loaded some 380's awhile back........
At the range I noticed the round was a little "zippier" then normal and soon after firing a few rounds a case bulged in the barrel and caused the extractor to brake.
got home took apart the rounds and found the OAL at .950 (min OAL .980)

Well here's an update on this thread. I checked each one of the 38's in that bunch that I just loaded and I reseated them to the center of the cannelure. Then put a light crimp in each one. Checked the OAL of each one both with my calipers and how each one fit into the cylinder of the 38 Spcl revolver. The OAL is now 1.470 and every one fit all the way into the cylinder just fine.
First off, let me say Thank You to each and every one of you for your comments, suggestions and input. Thank You Biker_bill for your offer to borrow your sizing die. I reload 38 Spcl, 357 magnum, 9mm, 273 and 30/06. Have reloaded a gazillion of them and this just goes to show how easy it is to make a goof up that could have made for a bad day.

Well here's an update on this thread. I checked each one of the 38's in that bunch that I just loaded and I reseated them to the center of the cannelure. Then put a light crimp in each one. Checked the OAL of each one both with my calipers and how each one fit into the cylinder of the 38 Spcl revolver. The OAL is now 1.470 and every one fit all the way into the cylinder just fine.
First off, let me say Thank You to each and every one of you for your comments, suggestions and input. Thank You Biker_bill for your offer to borrow your sizing die. I reload 38 Spcl, 357 magnum, 9mm, 273 and 30/06. Have reloaded a gazillion of them and this just goes to show how easy it is to make a goof up that could have made for a bad day.

lol, I hear ya bud! I try never to forget I'm acutally making explosive devices.

Back
Top Bottom