• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

38 Super Loads

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
Anyone loading for the old 38 Super? I recently got a 1911 chambered in this fine little round. I'm still breaking it in, but eventually will likely change the springs to handle light recoiling target loads. I'm shooting .355 jacketed bullets now, because I have so many. I'll likely make a run by Ga. Arms and pick up some .356 cast bullets soon and start experimenting. I've already got several powders on hand, and I'm thinking Universal and maybe some 125-135 grain cast bullets would be a place to start. I've been loading for many a year, and loading for this round seems to be pretty straight forward, as I've already put at least a couple hundred of my handloads through it with great results. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how well this pistol shoots the .355 diameter bullets. I've discovered some brass doesn't like the .355's though. The Star brand brass wouldn't hold the Winchester 115 FMJ tight enough to suit me, while the Remington and Winchester brass had no issue with the smaller projectile. I loaded some 115g Winchester HP's that measured just over .355 in the Star brass and it held em' tight. Anyone have any pet loads, suggested springs, or tips on precision loading for this old round in a 1911? Thanks' in advance, Chuckdog.

A new barrel and stronger recoil spring, maybe a modified ejector for a start. Slide, frame and magazines should all still work. A compensator would help with increased recoil, to funnel the increased blast.

A new barrel and stronger recoil spring, maybe a modified ejector for a start. Slide, frame and magazines should all still work. A compensator would help with increased recoil, to funnel the increased blast.

Learn to make new friends and influence others. Contact ole Alesky about how to win people over!

I loaded some 158 grain Hornady .357 XTP's last night. I plan to shoot them tomorrow. I originally bought this pistol with hopes of shooting of my pile of .355's in it. I'm having issues with brass not holding the small diameter bullets snug enough to suit me. I'm concerned that it could lead to bullet set back. It seems to shoot the .355 fine, I just don't trust em. The .357 are about the same price, I just didn't have nearly as many on hand as I do in .355. I'm shooting them in a Taurus 1911 that is surprising accurate with most anything I've tried. I had some 110 grain Winchester .357 semi jacketed hollow points that hold tight in the brass, and on paper. I've shot several offhand silver dollar sized groups with it @ 11 good steps(about 33ft). It's a fun shooter in the all steel 1911. Hardly any recoil, so it's easy to stay on target. Anyone else shooting anything similar? Anyone shooting any .358 cast bullets in them?

I'll keep updating this thread. Maybe there will be something in it someone may use in the future. I contacted Lee with my .355 bullet setback concerns, and they were quite helpful. They're sending me another sizing die that will size the cases .003 smaller. I haven't received it yet, so the results are yet to come. I have been really surprised by just how versatile this 38 Super is. I've shot 115 grain .355's ball and hp's all the way to 147 grain XTP's with excellent results. The pistol performs equally well using .357 bullets ranging from 110 grain all the way to 158 grain XTP's. I'm satisfied shooting the .357 bullets, but I would like to use .355's when the need or want arises. I'm thinking I may end up using it to replace one of my Model 30's as an everyday "always nearby pistols".

I receieved the new undersized die Friday. It's marked as usual for a Lee die with the addition of large U stamped into it. I resized several pieces comparing with the standard sizer, and it definitely holds the .355's tighter. I loaded 50, 115 grain Winchester FMJ's using it yesterday. I was able to use minimable crimp and still feel confident they will stay in place. I manually cycled a mag full without issue. We'll hopefully find out later today just how well they shoot.

A follow up to this mornings post. The undersized die loads work great. I didn't have a malfunction of any type. The accuracy was excellent. I had em' loaded on the warm side, and even with the additional recoil I was back on target quickly and reliably. If you plan to load .355 bullets in a 38 Super, I can highly recommend the use of an "undersized" die. Lee was responsive and very helpful when I contacted them about getting one. Even though they aren't cataloged they are available.

A simple way to solve your sizing problem is to change out the expander to a 9mm expander if you have those dies handy. wallacem in Ga

The bullets won't hold even without any expansion, plus you can't post size enough to hold either. The only brass that works with the regular 38 super die is Remington. I've read of several other folks that have had the same experience. They are mostly buying an EGW undersized die. Between differences in dies, case thickness, bullet variations, and the fact that the 38 is designed to shot .356 to start with, the regular 38 Super dies can't be relied on to size small enough to reliably hold .355's in place.

Back
Top Bottom