• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.38 vs .357 in snub revolvers

MRH

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
God, family, guitars, and guns.
208   0
Reaction score
This is Paul Harrell, a retired Marine and ballistics expert. I am not much on YouTube gun videos, but this guy keeps it straight forward without any tacticool nonsense, or ego. His videos are very intriguing and he touches on subjects that I haven't seen from anyone else. He puts everything to the test, questions everything, and leaves it out there for you to decide. He is like the myth buster of the gun world. He is also a very accomplished marksman. I recommend his videos to everyone.

In this he shows just how much difference there is between a .357 and a .38+p in 4" and snub revolvers, using a wide variety of ammunition, including fmj and hp. The results speak for themselves, and may or may not be what you previously believed or expected.

I don't believe that I have ever seen as tedious explanation of the obvious as this -- 10 minutes to explain 10 secs of information

Coming next from Paul Harrell, .44 mag is a "lot more powerful" than .44 special.

Then, 10 MM is a "lot more powerful" than .40 S&W

I don't believe that I have ever seen as tedious explanation of the obvious as this -- 10 minutes to explain 10 secs of information

Coming next from Paul Harrell, .44 mag is a "lot more powerful" than .44 special.

Then, 10 MM is a "lot more powerful" than .40 S&W

There are plenty of folks out there who believe .357 out of a snubnose is not so effective as from a longer barrel, and it isn't, but 1250 ft per second out of a snubnose with full expansion in a hp is still quite impressive.

If you don't like the video, move along. I'm sure you're a much greater expert, like so many other commandos out there.

If the dude wanted to do some serious research, he would fire .38 and .357 through the same gun, or get the same platform in .38 and .357 (SP 101, S&W K frame)

He says himself "I am only saying one thing, the .357 is a lot more powerful."

Wow. He figured that out all by himself.

I've read several articles or op-ed pieces from gunwriters who suggest that all that extra gunpowder in a .357 magnum round really needs at least a 5" barrel to give a major velocity boost over a .38 special +P. They say the extra velocity you gain from shooting magnums in a 2" snubby is minimal and surely not worth the huge muzzle blast and hand-stinging recoil.

I also agree it's not worth it, but I don't reject the idea that an extra 300- 400 f.p.s. velocity is a very good thing.
I'm just not willing to put up with that painful hand-slapping recoil and extreme muzzle-rotation that comes from the magnum loads fired from an alloy-framed small revolver.

Now, an all-steel K-frame gun would be a different story. I'd surely pick the full-power magnums out of such a heavy gun.

But yeah, in defensive handgun calibers a 300, 400, or 500 f.p.s. boost in velocity IS a significant benefit.

I bought a 649 all steel 2 1/4" barrel thinking the heavy snubbie would be acceptable recoil. I have shot about 1 box of 357s and that was enough. With the 38 however this is one of the most accurate, pleasurable carry guns I own. It is actually my preferred carry in the summer. The power of the 357 doesn't come close to the shot placement achieved with the 38. Not to mention shooting single action this gun is quite accurate out to 25yds.

This is the guy who doesn't wear eye protection .

I watched a few of his videos and couldn't get over his care less ness..

The information in the video however is useful and thanks for posting ;0)

Reactions: MRH
He doesn't recommend a snubby .357 over the .38 for the exact same reasons as stated here. He is simply putting to test the theory, that many have claimed, and many on this site have stated, that a .357 in snub nose has no real advantage in power over .38 because it loses so much velocity with the shorter barrel. It goes from 1450 ft per second with a 4" barrel to 1250 ft per second in a 2". Definitely a loss, but still very powerful. More powerful than I believed, in fact, so it showed me something.

This is the guy who doesn't wear eye protection .

I watched a few of his videos and couldn't get over his care less ness..

The information in the video however is useful and thanks for posting ;0)

He wears eye protection on some things, like up close steel, etc, but doesn't feel the need at longer ranges. His eyes, his choice. I'm guilty of the same thing sometimes, but never at close ranges, and I do not shoot steel.

He has some interesting videos and ballistics tests. He shows no bias to anything and allows the tests do the talking. Its refreshing.

One of his favorite carry guns is his Colt 1911 in .38 super. He can't be all bad.

I bought a 649 all steel 2 1/4" barrel thinking the heavy snubbie would be acceptable recoil. I have shot about 1 box of 357s and that was enough. With the 38 however this is one of the most accurate, pleasurable carry guns I own. It is actually my preferred carry in the summer. The power of the 357 doesn't come close to the shot placement achieved with the 38. Not to mention shooting single action this gun is quite accurate out to 25yds.

My airweight in .38+p is a bit stinging after a few cylinders, but it is only 12 ounces(I believe). I have never fired a snub in .357 that was very comfortable, and I have only fired all steel frame .357 snubs. They are also deafening, in addition.

Back
Top Bottom