• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.38 vs .357 in snub revolvers

I'm more intrigued by the real performance of .357 traveling at 1250 fps with great expansion out of a snub nose. I like seeing what the individual cartridges will actually do, more so than comparing them. This video does a good job of showing both.

Is a 4 inch barrel a snub nose? Not to me. S

I carried a S&W 637 & 360 for a while. Compared to a 4" Security Six they are tiny. Compared with my 28-2 four inch.... I put 38+p. Still hurt.

If I were carrying a snubbie with a 1.75" barrel and had to use it I'd want the Speer Short Barrel 357.

But lots and lots of bad guys got "KILD DEAD" in the not so distant past by eniemic 38 specials fired by cops out of S&W 36 Detective Specials.

View attachment 1226121

Did you watch the entire video? He shot both 4" and a snub in .357 to compare and show the loss of velocity, which wasn't as much as I expected.

I've always liked .38, and love the 36!

Only down side is you're definitely going to have permanent hearing damage if you fire a snub nose 357 from inside a vehicle with no hearing protection. I've done it with a full size 40s&w and that left me practically deaf for the rest of the day. I can't imagine a two inch 357.

A .357 snub will damn near blow your ear drums while shooting outside. In a vehicle, no thanks.

I shot a rabbit with a .38 while sitting in my truck years ago. My ears were ringing for two days.

640 vs 642 ?

Attachments

• 20170629_202703.jpg
    20170629_202703.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
640 no contest. The 642 is a fine weapon, though.

I carry a 638 everyday. It is more of a back up, but a nice shooter and extremely easy to carry.

View attachment 1226725

The 642 is my go-to quick carry. Also at work since some companies frown on employees being armed, it disappears in a pocket.

Ive debated in 9mm vs 38sp since a chart from "ballisticsbytheinch" give 9mm good numbers from a short barrel.

Reactions: MRH
The 642 is my go-to quick carry. Also at work since some companies frown on employees being armed, it disappears in a pocket.

Ive debated in 9mm vs 38sp since a chart from "ballisticsbytheinch" give 9mm good numbers from a short barrel.

This guy does a video with a really in depth comparison of .38 vs 9mm. 9mm appears to have the edge.

Yes, my 638 is perfect for working in a place that doesn't much approve of carrying on the job. Whoever doesn't approve can go work on Northside drive at 2am without protection. LOL

The grips look great on your 642!

Here's the .38 vs 9mm for concealed carry video. It is lengthy, but thorough, and worth watching.

There are plenty of folks out there who believe .357 out of a snubnose is not so effective as from a longer barrel, and it isn't, but 1250 ft per second out of a snubnose with full expansion in a hp is still quite impressive.

If you don't like the video, move along. I'm sure you're a much greater expert, like so many other commandos out there.
That should disprove some myth's' good viedo

I'm more intrigued by the real performance of .357 traveling at 1250 fps with great expansion out of a snub nose. I like seeing what the individual cartridges will actually do, more so than comparing them. This video does a good job of showing both.
WHAT I THOUGHT WAS INTERESTING WAS THE DIFFERENCE IN FPS OF THE FACTORY AMMO. THAT COULD BE ANOTHER VIEDO.

Back
Top Bottom