• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.380 for self defense?

You know how they have mini-glocks...The Diamonback......Someone needs to make a mini-1911 in .380....I bet that would sell like crazy.

I have never been shot with a .380, nor have I seen anyone shot with one... so I don't know. I feel most comfy carrying my G22 outside the waist band, or my G27 IWB. both have speer gold dots, and they are comfortable for me. now in the winter it is not much of a problem. in the summer, i use a belly band. BUT, i would rather shoot in self defense with a .380, than not shoot back at all.

I knew a guy who got shot by one .22 round in the shoulder during a robbery, and died. The .22 glanced off bone and went to his heart. He took out the bad guy with his .40, but what good did that do for him? I stayed away from the .380 for years, but I want something I can easily pocket carry. I looked at PF9's and several others in 9MM but couldn't find one I could easily pocket carry. No .38's small enough. I only carry concealed. With todays personal defense .380 ammo, I've changed my mind, and going with an LCP. To me something beats nothing every time.

I carried a P3AT for a while. Like others have said, it's not so much the caliber that bothers me, but the small capacity of the .380 pocket pistols. If I'm going to that small of a caliber I would like to at least have good capacity. That's why I don't mind a full sized pistol in 9mm. Yeah it's not as much force per round as a .45, but you get extra shots.

Although I just picked up a Kahr PM9 (6+1 or 7+1 of 9mm) this morning to use as a backup/deep concealment gun.

bear44, i'm posting from my phone, so forgive e for not quoting. The question I have is, What is the difference in the margin of error between a .45 and a .380?

The difference is manifested by the difference in energy imparted to the perp. Remember, the purpose is to stop the attack. It's like the difference between being hit with a fist and being hit with a baseball bat. Each person will be more or less susceptible to that energy, so it can not be expressed exactly. However, as an example, if someone is shot in the lower abdomen with a 380 they are much more likely to be able to continue the attack than if they are hit with a 45. This would be true of any hit other than a perfect center mass hit. Even with a perfect hit a 45 is much more likely to stop the attack instantly than a 380 is. The exception would be any hit directly to the central nervous system (spinal cord or brain). If you hit those with a 22 the person is stopped right then, but those are very small targets.

Back
Top Bottom