• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.380 for self defense?

I prefer the "stopping power" of twin DEagle 50AE's; however, I carry a .380 nearly everyday. I can hit what I aim at and it's a gun that I'll actually carry...

I see your point. It makes a lot of sense to carry an LCP 380 that is all of 0.19 inches shorter and 0.40 inches lower than a Kahr MK40. That massive size difference does justify giving up the 310 pounds of energy that the 40 S&W (500lb ME) offers over the 380 (190lb ME). I mean, it's only slightly more than two and a half times as much stopping power. Especially when you take into account they both have the same capacity.

Come on, jumping in size to the 50AE!

Last edited:
Is the .380 enough? Sure...if you know how to place the rounds (as already stated). That being said, I carry a 7-shot .357 most days...and a 5-shot .38+P on days where I cannot conceal the 7-shot. I don't feel undergunned - I don't plan on taking on a gang as a matter of routine.

Everyone here is right...the best weapon/caliber is the one you can shoot the best and the one that you will actually carry. I'd carry a .500 Mag if I could conceal it without it pulling my pants down...:lol:

"if I could conceal it without pulling my pants down..." OMG! A MENTAL PICTURE THAT JUST CANNOT BE ERASED! EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!lol

I really like my LCP just because of how easily it carries, but lately I've been thinking about what I would do if anything ever happened and I had to actually use it.

Do you guys think .380 is a satisfactory self defense round? Especially if whoever you drew it on had a gun as well?

What is the smallest round you feel comfortable defending yourself with? I personally feel ok with a 9mm or maybe a .38. I've been carrying a .357 mag for a week or so now and I like it but I don't really like only having 5 rounds on me.

The .380, especially of of the short barrel on a LCP, is for me, too little.

The penetration verages around 8 inches, onlly 2/3rd's of that the FBI says is the minimum in Ordnance Gel.

For me, 9mm+P is a minimum, and I don't think you do any better with a .40S&W, or a .45ACP.

As to your carry gun, it is small and light, which promoyes carry.

But the KelTec PF-9, and the Kahr PM9 are pretty small, as well.

I see your point. It makes a lot of sense to carry an LCP 380 that is all of 0.19 inches shorter and 0.40 inches lower than a Kahr MK40. That massive size difference does justify giving up the 310 pounds of energy that the 40 S&W (500lb ME) offers over the 380 (190lb ME). I mean, it's only slightly more than two and a half times as much stopping power. Especially when you take into account they both have the same capacity.

Come on, jumping in size to the 50AE!

Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

There is no "answer" to the question as we each have our opinions - and that's all they are opinions. Carry something, and train with what you carry...

For private citizens, I think the act of carrying a gun beats, by a mile, the particulars of which caliber you are carrying. My logic:

1) The presence of your gun will stop a high percentage of criminal activity toward your person or property.
2) The firing of your gun, even if you do not hit, will stop an even higher percentage of criminal activity toward your person or property.
3) As a private citizen, the chances of you having to pursue or even continue to stand your ground for an extended period, in a public place, or your home, once gunfire has erupted, is extremely small. Very few criminals are determined to fight through an encounter against lethal force to get your stuff or press home an attack against you. I have no empirical evidence, just lots of anecdotal evidence that bad guys usually run away once the gun is brandished, and even moreso when fired.

The scenarios for law enforcement or military are obviously different. For those guys, the objective often involves moving forward against the adversary, who doesn't retreat, or is willing to continue to fight to avoid the consequence of losing the encounter.

Bottom line: Carry a gun that you will carry most of the time.

"if I could conceal it without pulling my pants down..." OMG! A MENTAL PICTURE THAT JUST CANNOT BE ERASED! EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!lol

Glad I could help you, JWC. :lol:

magicref.tripod.com_internet_what_seen.jpg

Lemme see, .380 or throw rocks and make faces? Duh!

2 points to make:

1-if you are carrying a Bersa or a PPK you are totin' as much weight and size as a Kahr PM40 or maybe even a PM45 and maybe gaining 1 round;

2-several people have mentioned switching from JHP to FMJ in winter to penetrate clothing. If a coat is all it takes to stop your round...well think about it.

Kahr PM9, PM40, PM45 all weigh in at <22 oz and measure less than 6" (5.35 for 9 and 40) long. Taurus Slims are 6.25" long and 19 oz. Glock 26/27 are 6.29" long and weigh 19.75 oz. I know the TCP, LCP, Diamondback and (blech) Kel-tecs are about 10 oz and great for last lines of defense but for me it's 9mm or 40S&W. Besides, there are some GREAT holsters out there that make even larger guns invisible. As for hitting, well I believe that's ALL about practice no matter what caliber you carry.

If you hit what you were shooting at to start with, there would be NO GUNFIGHT. And if I'm so scared that I have to think that I'm going out to a Gun Fight everytime I leave the house, then I'm taking the AK47 and moving somewhere else.

If the person you are defending yourself from has a gun, it's a GUNFIGHT. Even if yours is the only gun fired.

Back
Top Bottom