• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.380 Titegroup

crunch time

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I have loaded some .380 with 2.9 gr. Of Titegroup behind a 95 gr bullet. For me they are manageable, but for my wife, they are a little too snappy. I have loaded some more with 2.7 gr of Titegroup behind the same bullet, but have not been able to test them due to having surgery. The reloading manual that I am using lists 2.7 gr as the minimum charge, but has anyone used less without issues? Any input or ideas are appreciated

Well you can check several resources and get several answers.

If your goal is to roll some soft ball reloads, then you can reduce the load if it doesn't warn against it. Yes some reduced loads can be detrimental to your gun and you.

Once the load is too weak to reliably cycle the action of that gun with that load the other option is to reduce the recoil spring weight. There are a couple of ways to do this.

I currently have a few hundred 95 grain loaded at 2.9 grains of Titlegroup.

I originally loaded these up when I had only a LCP.

Just an FYI.

I now have a new G42 and have had some reliability issues with the G42 and was gonna bump the load up a bit to improve cycle reliability.

maybe also try a different powder. Titegroup is great for using low volume to get good efficiency out of the power (small amounts of Titegroup go a long way!) but it's sometimes a bit snappy in guns. I have a bunch of them loaded with 3.0 of titegroup but try something a little bulkier- Unique is another I've used in the past (around 4 grains), AA#5 (around 4.8gr) or maybe even see if there's a load using Trail Boss?

I have used 3.5 grains of Unique for years in the 380 with a 90-100 grain flat point.
it runs perfectly in all 4 of my 380's regardless of barrel length.
at 3.5 grains you get 2000 rounds from a pound of powder and good performance as well.
I never worry about how many rounds that I can get out of powder as its the cheapest thing in the reloading habit except for the scrounged brass.
I want my loads to WORK, period.

Thanks for the helpful information. I'm starting to reload for .380. This may be the wrong place to ask but for you that reload 380, can I use my 9mm dies. Just adjust for case length? Many Thanks.

The 9 MM has a very tapered case and the 380 almost a straight walled case, so unlike loading 44 SPl / 44 mag dies, 357 with 38 Spl Dies, you can not use 380/ 9 MM interchanagbally due to the difference in the case taper.

Back
Top Bottom