• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

380 vs 9mm meat an rib test :)

When I think about the different scenarios I can't help but think of Andre the Giant. What would I need to stop him? In other words, what is best in the worst possible situation? .

THE most important need in any shooting situation is bullet placement, end of sentence.

Did you miss the article about the Inuit woman that killed a world record Grizzly with a single shot 22lr bolt gun? She dropped it with 1 shot, because she knew where to place that one bullet.

She did, however, put 7 "insurance" shots on the animal as it lay on the ground (nice grouping ). She was carrying the 22 ammo loose in her pocket.

When I think about the different scenarios I can't help but think of Andre the Giant. What would I need to stop him?

A gallon of whiskey and 200 beers according to some of the stories about him.

(Subd to watch later)

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/3559931/posts
Bella-Twin-is-shown-with-the-hide-from-the-world-record-grizzly-bear.jpg

Bella Twin, the .22 Used to Take the 1953 World Record Grizzly

THE most important need in any shooting situation is bullet placement, end of sentence.

Did you miss the article about the Inuit woman that killed a world record Grizzly with a single shot 22lr bolt gun? She dropped it with 1 shot, because she knew where to place that one bullet.

She did, however, put 7 "insurance" shots on the animal as it lay on the ground (nice grouping ). She was carrying the 22 ammo loose in her pocket.

Bullet placement is easier said than done when someone is shooting at you. Most violent encounters that involve gun fire probably last 3-5 seconds and maybe 3-5 rounds are fired. These encounters are usually wild and sporadic, spray and pray type situations. I figure the best anyone can hope for is our worst day of training. Meaning if we perform like we perform on our worst days of practice, we're doing as good as can be expected. All of this is hypothetical, of course, and every encounter is different. If I hit them in the arm or leg, or anywhere out of their vitals I want something powerful...and of course shot placement matters the most. That's common sense.

A gallon of whiskey and 200 beers according to some of the stories about him.

(Subd to watch later)

Exactly. A .380 may not be enough.

Bullet placement is easier said than done when someone is shooting at you. Most violent encounters that involve gun fire probably last 3-5 seconds and maybe 3-5 rounds are fired. These encounters are usually wild and sporadic, spray and pray type situations. I figure the best anyone can hope for is our worst day of training. Meaning if we perform like we perform on our west days of practice, we're doing as good as can be expected. All of this is hypothetical, of course, and every encounter is different....and of course shot placement matters the most. That's common sense.

Exactly. A .380 may not be enough.

I saw a video of a master shooting champ completely fail during a mass shooting type scenario using bb guns in a class room...

Its cool to shoot paper but training under UnControlled Stress would be better and more realistic results would be reviewed for further training. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: MRH
I feel comfortable with a .380 for self defense.

A very long time ago I believed bigger was better. That was also a time when I wasn't 100% confident in my shooting skills because I did not train enough. I figured I would be better served with a larger round incase I didn't hit a vital area.

Now years later and I train often and am 100% confident in my shooting skills. I'm not bothered by caliber size. I carry a G42 everywhere with or without any one of my other pistols. Many times my G42 is the only gun I have on me.

Maybe like me some of you have misplaced fears. You fear small caliber performance when its really your shooting performance or lack their of that you truly fear.

Back
Top Bottom