• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

3d printing?

I need someone to print these parts for me (multiple sets). They go on a small scale model so they must be as smooth as possible. The largest part (shuttle bay) measures 2-3/4" x 2-1/8" x 3/4". The scale is 1/2700.

Send me a PM if you can do this. Let me know how much you would charge for three sets of these parts.

Download STL file Zvezda Star Destroyer Upgrade Pack • 3D printing model ・ Cults (cults3d.com)

View attachment 3187867

I could give it a shot, did you already buy the files?

I looked at the link you provided, the designer advises that fdm won't provide crisp enough detail, that really should be done on a resin printer. While those aren't especially expensive they aren't quite as ubiquitous as the extruded filament printers. I have one, I very very rarely use it because the resin is actually pretty hazardous compared to abs and pla so basically it just sits around collecting dust. It does make beautifully detailed prints though!

If you bought the stl files though and want to see what the quality looks like you have one volunteer already to print it for you and I'll second that same offer. Just brace yourself, unless it's printed in resin the detail won't be as crisp

I looked at the link you provided, the designer advises that fdm won't provide crisp enough detail, that really should be done on a resin printer. While those aren't especially expensive they aren't quite as ubiquitous as the extruded filament printers. I have one, I very very rarely use it because the resin is actually pretty hazardous compared to abs and pla so basically it just sits around collecting dust. It does make beautifully detailed prints though!

That's where I have no clue. I'm glad you understand all those abbreviations. I guess that's why they charge a premium for printing small things like that with a lot of detail.

For those that don't live in the bizarre world of tech, there are different types of 3d printers. The most common uses plastic filament that comes on a spool......think big roll of weed whacker line visually. This type melts the plastic and deposits it onto a plate, layer by layer, until it completes.

Another type is a resin based printer that uses a liquid resin in a tank. The resin is cured or hardened by exposure to uv light. A little uv laser moves around, zapping tiny little spots, layer by layer but upside down, until it completes. Once complete you pull the part out of the resin liquid and rinse it off to remove excess, uncured resin.

Both types of printers are relatively inexpensive. The resin type......the resin itself is pretty toxic. Since I'm reasonably confident cancer will ultimately wipe me out I just don't mess with the resin type. You have to wear gloves and really should wear a respirator too.....bad stuff.

Crochet556 Crochet556 build a little raspberry pi octoprint server with a webcam. That'll make it easier to control your printer and it can take time lapse pics of your print you can play back later. It'll also allow you to control and watch your printer from your smartphone. Octoprint itself is free. Raspberry pi will cost you somewhere between $35-80 depending on which model you pick up. RPI-3B will work, RPI-4 works better.

Back
Top Bottom