• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

3m Ultra headlight kit works!! Cleaned two sets with one kit and both look brand new again. Impressive

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
Use a battery operated drill and not electric. Kit comes with 500, 800 and 3000 grit. I added 2000 before using 3000. It took about 2 hour to do both sets of headlights and here is the result. Car pictured is a 2004 Honda CRV with headlights I replaced from wrecking yard donor. The other car was a 2008 Honda Element with original headlights that were cloudy and we had the same crystal clear result.

s-l500.jpg

after cleaning headlight.jpg
IMG_0999.jpg

Any idea how long the restored plastic will last after the process is complete? It seems reasonable to me that while the lens will be clear for a while, the surface will be abraded more quickly. I don't know if there is a "hardening" or surface protection from the factory, not a plastics engineer.

The result is great and I think I'll take this project on soon as my car has 229K miles and the headlamps show it.

I used the ChrisFix method. He uses UV resistant gloss clear coat to finish it off with a wet sand and top it off with a light coat of wax.

You should check out this channel too. Here's a video to help restore the black bumper on your car too.

Any idea how long the restored plastic will last after the process is complete? It seems reasonable to me that while the lens will be clear for a while, the surface will be abraded more quickly. I don't know if there is a "hardening" or surface protection from the factory, not a plastics engineer.

The result is great and I think I'll take this project on soon as my car has 229K miles and the headlamps show it.
It comes with sealer to wipe on. I used the same kit a month ago on my wife's Yukon Denali and they still look new. Night and day difference. The kit was $21 at Oreilly's. Same kit up the road at Advance was $24 and you might be able to get it online cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom