• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4,100 fps out of a .243

Seems like more of a novelty .243 round. Personally I'd say it's a no-go unless you're a sadist that always has to see a fine mist of blood and guts when you take the shot. Not to mention, it says the hide will be destroyed. Some of us like to keep that around and intact. Just hit them with a slower, heavier round and they'll drop just fine.

"At around 4,000 fps, this bullet tends to blow up at any close range (under 300 yards) impact speed on just about any mammal. If you like exploding Rock Chucks or foxes, this is the load. As an example, foxes shot under 200 yards will have an exit hole about the diameter of a football, which means the fox could be blown in half. This is a great load for destroying coyotes or anything smaller, but remember, the hide will likely be destroyed by the fragmenting bullet at these high velocities."

Seems like more of a novelty .243 round. Personally I'd say it's a no-go unless you're a sadist that always has to see a fine mist of blood and guts when you take the shot. Not to mention, it says the hide will be destroyed. Some of us like to keep that around and intact. Just hit them with a slower, heavier round and they'll drop just fine.

"At around 4,000 fps, this bullet tends to blow up at any close range (under 300 yards) impact speed on just about any mammal. If you like exploding Rock Chucks or foxes, this is the load. As an example, foxes shot under 200 yards will have an exit hole about the diameter of a football, which means the fox could be blown in half. This is a great load for destroying coyotes or anything smaller, but remember, the hide will likely be destroyed by the fragmenting bullet at these high velocities."
Hydroshock

Very high velocity varmint bullets can be safer to shoot. When hunting groundhogs, foxes, and other small animals out in a field where there is no suitable backstop behind the animal, there may be no exit from the creature's body. Even if there is an exit, or if you miss and the bullet impact the ground, the extreme velocity will cause the bullet to fragment into hundreds of little pieces.
And each of those pieces will quickly lose its energy and fall to the ground a relatively short distance behind the animal.

I have some 55 gr. varmint bullets for my 243 Win. hunting rifle. The advertised velocity on those is about 3900 ft./second.

If I shoot a 40 pound coyote in the chest with one, I don't expect it to exit. There will probably be a dime-sized hole in one end of the animal's torso, nothing on the other side, and everything in between will look like it's been through a blender.

Anyone remember the ol' .30-06 Accelerator round?

55 grains around 4,100fps or so. I don't think the sabot degraded the bore much but apparently the accuracy wasn't that great either.

As the military found out, sabots can be tricky. Even separation of the sabot and proper twist are paramount. A FSDS out of a smoothbore shotgun might be a fun experiment though.

Back
Top Bottom