• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4/12/17 Turkey Hunt

DHSNKE

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
62   0
Reaction score
I always save one of my honey holes for mid April. I was disappointed at day break because I only heard one gobble far off. I went to an area where there is usually feeding sign. Set up the decoys and called every 10 to 15 minutes. NOTHING. Left decoys set up and did some walking and still NOTHING. I decided to go back and get my decoys and go to another spot. Well, on the way back to my truck I pulled out a wing bone yelper that I have had for 20 years that I have never really used because to me it really doesn't sound good. Boy was I wrong. I yelped and right where I just walked through one gobbled about 150 yards behind me. I hit him again and he was closer. I moved a little closer to him and set up about 25 yards from a little rise he would have to come up. There was actually 3 long beards and I saw them come running down one ridge right to the holler in front of me. When they crested the ridge they were about 15 degrees to the right of where I had my gun pointed. "That's par for the course". The strutter was the second bird to come up. When I swung on them the first one putted and brought the strutter out of strut. That's when I lowered the boom. It all happened in about 8 minutes from the first gobble to the shot. They covered at least 150 yards that fast. I love it when a plan comes together. He was 20lbs, 2 beards, one was 10.5 inches and the other was 5.5 inches and had one inch spurs. He was killed at Johns mountain WMA
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg

Gives me optimism for Sat and Sun am hunts! Nice Bird!
I definitely learned a lesson today. NEVER give up. One minute I was walking to my truck to change spots then one last yelp with a different call and 8 minutes later he was on the ground. Talk about head spinning. I won't ever forget this bird.

Back
Top Bottom