• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4.4 mile shot

Yeah. Cool and all, but if it takes that many shots, it's luck that you got that 1

I concur. I applaud the attempt and work to get it done, but this is what’s annoying about the ELR game. There were discussions on accurate shooter about it. At what shot count does it transition from skill to luck?

I concur. I applaud the attempt and work to get it done, but this is what’s annoying about the ELR game. There were discussions on accurate shooter about it. At what shot count does it transition from skill to luck?
I don't know that answer. But how we see all of these worlds longest shot records set, there is zero repeatability. Making estimated rainbows and hoping for something to hit isn't impressive. 69 shots, 144 shots, 127 shots, etc to get 1 impact and then claim a title? Meh

It would be on the bad ass category if they could now ring it again.
That's what I think. I get it. There's no data for that long of a shot with every caliber. So you have to do some field research. Note that they have made the shot. If they can't do it again without shooting through a case of ammo. They just got lucky

Even a 155mm howitzer might hit a bridge or stationary command vehicle at 15 miles. Capable doesn't mean "can repeat" or "will." Marksmanship is about reliably hitting what you are shooting at. The shooting example referenced by the OP is an example of using a direct fire weapon as an indirect fire weapon and the target just happened to be in the "beaten zone" or "impact area."

Do it in 3 shots and I'll be impressed. 69? That's luck or probability. And no, I can't do it better.

My brother was astounded one day at the range when I hit a bowling pin at 85 yards with one shot from a S&W Model 12 snubnosed revolver. After resetting the pin I attempted to repeat the feat and could not even though I fired 50 more rounds. It was luck. I didn't even actually hit the bowling pin on that first shot, I hit the 1/2" rebar pin the bowling pin rested on.

Back
Top Bottom