• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4.4 mile shot

I never commented on the number of rounds fired, nor did I make any personal opinions on the difficulty of the shot, or the odds of success. What I did comment on is the fact that at 4.4 miles, a 10’ target is not as big as it sounds.

Furthest I’ve shot with success is 2500yds, at a target that was less than 2MOA. I took a lot less than 69 rounds to hit it, and once I was on we hit it multiple times, but shooting at 7,744yds is exponentially more difficult than 2,500yds. It isn’t “3x as far, so it’s 3x as hard”.……it’s many times more difficult than that.

Various, oftentimes contrary, winds to account for. That means math.

The Coriolis effect. More math.

The fact that during the 20+ seconds that the bullet was in the air, the target can easily move out of the path of the bullet. Even more math.

You know that little twitch, or improper trigger control, or inconsistent shooting position, that causes you to move the strike of your round 1/4” from point-of-aim at 100yds? At 4.4 miles that same little twitch will cost you approximately 20”. That can’t be accounted for mathematically.

Temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude………maaaaaaath……….
I hope you are getting my Sarcasm and not taking offense. I know you know what you are talking about and I dont have a clue. Ive done 800-1000 yard shots nothing more.

I never commented on the number of rounds fired, nor did I make any personal opinions on the difficulty of the shot, or the odds of success. What I did comment on is the fact that at 4.4 miles, a 10’ target is not as big as it sounds.

Furthest I’ve shot with success is 2500yds, at a target that was less than 2MOA. I took a lot less than 69 rounds to hit it, and once I was on we hit it multiple times, but shooting at 7,744yds is exponentially more difficult than 2,500yds. It isn’t “3x as far, so it’s 3x as hard”.……it’s many times more difficult than that.

Various, oftentimes contrary, winds to account for. That means math.

The Coriolis effect. More math.

The fact that during the 20+ seconds that the bullet was in the air, the target can easily move out of the path of the bullet. Even more math.

You know that little twitch, or improper trigger control, or inconsistent shooting position, that causes you to move the strike of your round 1/4” from point-of-aim at 100yds? At 4.4 miles that same little twitch will cost you approximately 20”. That can’t be accounted for mathematically.

Temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude………maaaaaaath……….

Air temp, humidity and barometric pressure at DIFFERENT altitudes within the arc of trajectory would need to be accounted for I think, if variable. You'd need a MET MSG to be sure.
Y’all are making my head hurt.

Back
Top Bottom