• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4-minute AK fixes

what's funny is that you need to spend $2000 on a ar to have the same reliability as a $600 ak (wasr). probably still won't last as long. no, not probably. it still won't last as long and have many more issues.

Romanian G rifle, cost more then AR15.

If oyu say AK got no value. Buy Polytech and do the mods. Let me know after, how it works out for you.

Other than cutting off the forend, none of these mods are permanent. Hence, they would not adversely effect the value.

Folks like me don’t buy guns to collect them. We buy them to use them, use them hard, and have him in standby status JIC. I won’t hesitate to cut/chop/modify, even permanently, if it makes the firearm more effective and usable for me. To me, that’s what they were made for in the first place. I don’t own safe queens. I’ve got a pair of Colt Single Action Army’s, with gold trim and ivory grips; I shoot and compete with them.

what's funny is that you need to spend $2000 on a ar to have the same reliability as a $600 ak (wasr). probably still won't last as long. no, not probably. it still won't last as long and have many more issues.

This is a fallacy. I run a thousand or so carbine students a year in my classes. I've trained with foreign militaries. I have not found a good AK to be any more or less reliable than a good AR/M16.

lol at no permanent mods.
Looks like we been reading different articles or not reading.
I know, reading is optional.

I seen those guns at gun show. Custom gun at x3 the price. Yeah, whatever.

"Opening up the rear with a triangle file is easy. "
"You may have to make a small relief cut to make the rail even, depending on your handguard and rail placement."
"You can either remove the buttplate and loop some 550 cord around the top screw and replace the plate, or simply move the rear sling mount from the bottom of the buttstock to the outside-top. "
". I happened to spot-weld the tab in place, but I’ve also seen it done with rivets and other forms of welding"
"No, don’t use sandpaper. Just a little polish on the rails and bearing surfaces to smooth it out. You’ll be pleased with the results."

it is not a fallacy it is a reality that aks are generally much much much more reliable than a comparable ar (excepting junk usa-made aks that are probably as reliable as the average ar) but, oh yes of course there is the american pride excuse.... endorse all things usa made regardless of their crap quality with vague 'as good as any' claims.
wouldn't want to lose those students and their awesome ar and 1911 choices since they're 'just as good' and 'murrica' and endorsements and sales....because according to some the measure of reliability is a 500rd 2day course. laughable bs

lol at no permanent mods.
Looks like we been reading different articles or not reading.
I know, reading is optional.

I seen those guns at gun show. Custom gun at x3 the price. Yeah, whatever.

"Opening up the rear with a triangle file is easy. "
"You may have to make a small relief cut to make the rail even, depending on your handguard and rail placement."
"You can either remove the buttplate and loop some 550 cord around the top screw and replace the plate, or simply move the rear sling mount from the bottom of the buttstock to the outside-top. "
". I happened to spot-weld the tab in place, but I’ve also seen it done with rivets and other forms of welding"
"No, don’t use sandpaper. Just a little polish on the rails and bearing surfaces to smooth it out. You’ll be pleased with the results."

We both read the same article. Apparently logical thought is optional too. The ONLY semi- permentant mod is opening up the rear sight, which can be replaced with a new one for a few bucks. Mounting the rail on the hanguard may mess up the handguard, but romanian surplus furniture is readily available and can be easily replaced. Screwing some paracord into the buttstock is 100% removable, and even if it wasnt, replace the damn buttstock with cheap romanian surplus, or russian, or from wherever.

Polishing the reciever rails doesnt devalue an AK. When people send AKs to the smiths to have the action improved they polish all the contact surfaces, and somemtimes round the corners on the hammer.

Do you even AK bro?

giphy.gif

it is not a fallacy it is a reality that aks are generally much much much more reliable than a comparable ar (excepting junk usa-made aks that are probably as reliable as the average ar) but, oh yes of course there is the american pride excuse.... endorse all things usa made regardless of their crap quality with vague 'as good as any' claims.
wouldn't want to lose those students and their awesome ar and 1911 choices since they're 'just as good' and 'murrica' and endorsements and sales....because according to some the measure of reliability is a 500rd 2day course. laughable bs

Making personal attacks is always the first sign of someone with a losing argument, deep insecurity, or a weak mind. Usually a combination of 2 or all 3.

I ain't endorsing all thing US made, I'm making a simple statement of fact that folks working in harm's way in the real world already know, not a bunch of internet commando BS. My favorite combat handguns that I actually use are SIG's and Beretta's, and I don't care what country they were made in. I run Remington 870's and Benelli shotguns. In short, I run what works and I don't care who made it or what country it was made in.

I've run AK's and M16's around the world. I run AK's and AR's here in the States regularly. I've seen malfunctions with squared away "operators" running AK's made in their home countries......folks that know how to run them. Not many, but the same amount that I see in my training with comparable round counts out of good AR's, FN's, HK's, Tavor's, etc. No better and no worse.

I wouldn't lose students because my students can run whatever they wanna run. I'll tell them what I think of their choice in kit, regardless of what it is. I invite students to run AR's, AK's, HK's, FN's, Tavor's.......what have you.

I work for myself, which means I only have to answer to ME. I will tell my students whatever I want to tell my students. If they don't like the training they receive from me, or the words coming out of my mouth, they're welcome to go train with someone else. I'm not changing my opinion, or the way I do things, to satisfy customers......I'm not in the customer satisfaction business. As a matter of fact, I encourage my students to seek as much training with as many different Instructors as they are able to do.

I see a lot of them same folks over and over again over a period of several years, running the same carbine they've been running for years, be it an AK or an AR. I've several of both that had 10's of thousands of rounds through them. I've worn out barrels and bolts, broken firing pins and extractors, in both platforms.

I'm not saying one system is better than another......they're just different. There are things I like better about the AK, there are things I like better about the AR, there are things I like better about the FN SCAR, etc. There isn't a perfect weapon system.......there is a perfect weapon system for YOU. Just because you think that system is the best system for you, doesn't mean that it is the World's Best or what everyone needs to run.

I ran military AK's overseas. Not "junk usa-made aks", the real deal, made in Russia and other Soviet satellite countries, as well as others like China and Egypt. For the most part, they ran and ran very well, but no better than the M16's we were issued, or the various European platforms ran by some other folks I trained and worked with.

Can't figure out if you're seriously misinformed or just a troll. CMshoot has a lot more credibility here than you.

I know neither of you personally. However, the trainers that I do know, as well as the guys that I know who have "been there and done that" all agree that the AR platform is reliable.

My personal experience backs that up. My classes were five and four day affairs, respectively. I personally fired over 1500 rounds in the five day class, with no failures, and no cleaning. I wanted to find the failure point and never did.

My team mates used steel cased ammo and experienced one failure caused by a cheap aluminum magazine with bent feed lips. To the best of my knowledge, none of the other 10 ARs in the class had any major problems, either. They were all running at the end of the class, anyway.

I also used to be one of the "AR's aren't reliable" crowd. But then I bought one and learned the truth. Both AKs and ARs of decent manufacture are reliable. If you say otherwise I'd like to have examples..

Back
Top Bottom