• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4 Question about .303 Enfield?

JSoko

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
all I know is British rifle

It looks fairly nice and complete with matching serial numbers on the receiver, bolt, receiver band, magazine and also in the wood under the front of the barrel.

need a translation of the photos

1.) What does "WLH/10/54" on the stock mean?

2.) What is the Make & Model?

3.) Where and when it was manufactured?

4.) Is there a way to tell if it had military use?

3 photos Below

Thank You,

303 1.jpg
303 11.jpg
303 111.jpg

fetch

fetch

fetch

Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE) No4 Mk1/2, which is a No4 Mk1 that has been converted to No4 Mk2 standard configuration.

Originally manufactured in 1942 and converted to Mk2 sometime later.

SMLE’s in this configuration were only manufactured for military use.

WLH/10/54 could be a unit designation. I’m trying to search and find a unit that matches this, but could be British/Aussie/Canadian/etc.

I just got this info from an old Scottish pilot friend

I used to use a WW2 Lee Enfield .303 like that when I was in the UK's Air Training Corps while still at high school. Our uniforms and equipment (like the .303) were all surplus WW2 stock. The No 4 Mk 1 rifles brought up to No 4 Mk 2 standards were designated No 4 Mk 1/2. Looks like it has a 1942 stamp,

and the WLH/10/54 stencil means the rifle had been checked and issued by 18 Command Workshop Bovington in October 1954. Bovington was the army camp in Dorset, England, where Lawrence of Arabia had his fatal accident on the road just north of the camp...

Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE) No4 Mk1/2, which is a No4 Mk1 that has been converted to No4 Mk2 standard configuration.

Originally manufactured in 1942 and converted to Mk2 sometime later.

SMLE’s in this configuration were only manufactured for military use.

I'm not so sure its a SMLE as I cant find that stamp on there like the pictures Ive seen. Or is it just the style of the rifle? Its got a trap door in the butt of the stock for a bayonet blade but bayonet is missing.

I'm not so sure its a SMLE as I cant find that stamp on there like the pictures Ive seen. Or is it just the style of the rifle? Its got a trap door in the butt of the stock for a bayonet blade but bayonet is missing.

Yes, it’s a SMLE. That info wasn’t stamped on the rifles.

Trap door in butt stock is for a cleaning kit, not a bayonet.

Back
Top Bottom