• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4 Runners,any years to stay away from

Had an 01, it was great. It had 230,000 on it when we sold it and it still ran perfect.

Now we have a 2012 with 70,000. No complaints so far. The 2012 has a lot more room than the 01 did.

If it was me any 96 or newer 4Runner would be a good one to consider. I have an 01 v6 4x4 with 335k on it. Land cruisers are also great vehicles and if you want something a little larger you may want to consider one of them.

I was told to avoid the 3 point slow engine?
I think it was kinda hit or miss with the Toyota 3.0 engine. I've had two different vehicles with that same engine.

One was a 1989 4x4 pickup. It never had much power, but was pretty dependable for me for many years.

The other was an early 90's 2WD 4-Runner. Same 3.0 engine as my pickup (engine code 3VZE). The engine code is forever etched into my mind because I was constantly typing it into google trying to diagnose my latest problem and constantly telling it to the guy at the parts store as I dumped more money into that POS.

I'm pretty decent at working on my own vehicles and keeping them running, but I met my match with that 3.0 4-Runner. LOL! I never could get that thing to run right!

I strongly suggest you avoid the "3 point slow". It's not worth the gamble that you MIGHT get a good one when there are much better Toyota engines available.

I have a '04 4Runner with the 4.0 V6, 21 mpg. with 177k and runs like a champ. Much power for a V6.

Back
Top Bottom