.40 S&W Long

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
I Am Curious ... .40 S&W Long?

Since I move residence I have been too busy to do anything involving reloading.
So, I see some suppliers selling ".40 S&W Long" ammunition ... that's clearly "longer" than the established OAL for .40 S&W.

Obviously: "Why?" (Hyperlinks are OK)
Then: "Which Guns?" (Magazines have to be a constraint!)
Then: "Published Loads?"

BAck in the day, when 10mm was incredibly God awful expensive, (as opposed to today's just incredibly expensive) there were recipes for loading .40 S&W with the 180 gr. bullets seated "long." The idea was that they would function in a 10mm at considerable savings.

I had a 10 mm and tried it, and it worked, but as 10mm brass became more available, and I didn't shoot the 10mm all that much, there didn't seem to really be any point.

I don't know if that what this company is doing -look at the disclaimers about all the guns in WON'T work in.

I see that Atlanta arms has a similar load -apparently it's to get the Short and Weak to major caliber specs.

It is for the 1911 shooters, You can use a 10mm mag for better feeding reliability.

The 1911 was never ment to run on short bullets. It likes them around 1.24". The 38 Super, 10mm, and 45ACP fit the design of the 1911. 9's and 40's generally run better if loaded long. Berry Bullets even make a hollow base bullet to allow for a longer bullet COAL without increasing bullet weight. Some guns work pretty well without the long loadings by using mags with spacers in the rear, but it is tougher to get a 1911 to run on 9mm or Forty without some extra work.

Just a note: the standard forty easily matches the power and power factor of standard 45 loads.

It is for the 1911 shooters, You can use a 10mm mag for better feeding reliability.

The 1911 was never ment to run on short bullets. It likes them around 1.24". The 38 Super, 10mm, and 45ACP fit the design of the 1911. 9's and 40's generally run better if loaded long. Berry Bullets even make a hollow base bullet to allow for a longer bullet COAL without increasing bullet weight. Some guns work pretty well without the long loadings by using mags with spacers in the rear, but it is tougher to get a 1911 to run on 9mm or Forty without some extra work.

Just a note: the standard forty easily matches the power and power factor of standard 45 loads.

Thanks for the explanation!

Back
Top Bottom