• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

401k-Roth IRA- company doesn't have matching.....????

We have the option at work to contribute to both, on top of our pension. I could be wrong (certainly wouldn't be the first time), but I've read that if you are younger, then the Roth 401k option is better. If you are older, then the 401k (pre-tax) is the better option. I am 41 and while I'd love to retire at 55, I have set a no later date/age than 62, which means that I am out in 21 years. I really need to sit down with someone to see where I fall realistically.

I will say this for you younger guys with the option, put what you can in and treat it like a bill. The absolute one thing that any financial "guru" will say, is pay yourself first. You don't have to max out your 401k at the age of 23 because time is on your hands, but I would seriously consider putting every raise that I got toward my retirement.

Minimize expenses now, and be reasonable in your expectations of retirement. For some, that means buying a beach house or cabin in the mountains. For myself, I need enough money to cover the taxes on my properties and gas money for my travel rig once I retire. Have an idea, set a goal, and work toward reaching it.

[/QUOTE]
So I currently have a 401K through my company. They don't offer any matching.
I also have a roth-IRA. both are set to 2050 index funds.

Is it worth me still contributing to the 401k or focus everything on the IRA? OR is it good to have both??

It’s good to have both because you can contribute more. The 401k reduces your taxable income now. Try really hard to max out one of them if you can, but everything you contribute helps .

If you don’t know what you’re doing either leave the target date as is or invest in an index fund. Don’t try to play with individual stocks either way.

You see the common theme here? We ALL wish we saved more when we were younger. Be smarter than us and retire early and wealthy.

So this is going to be sticker shock for some of you guys but roughly every $300K you have will allow you to draw out $1K monthly comfortably in retirement. YMMV. But you can save/invest/grow well above this amount pretty easily for someone starting out in their 20s. I didn't start seriously messing with this until my middle/late 30s so I've had some serious catching up to do. I could have invested a little bit of money through my 20s and gotten a damn good head start until my job situation improved in my 30s. I'd give my left nut to get that 10 year advantage back.

Glad to see people interested in this stuff, I wish I had knowledgable people to show me when I was younger instead of learning it on my own...

This is almost my story....
Late 30's I had a small 401(k) and $100K in debt.... Never had anyone slap me on side the head about saving early...
Retired now (at 62)... debt free and 7 figures (small) invested..... It is hard (and stupid) to start late, but it can be done...

This is almost my story....
Late 30's I had a small 401(k) and $100K in debt.... Never had anyone slap me on side the head about saving early...
Retired now (at 62)... debt free and 7 figures (small) invested..... It is hard (and stupid) to start late, but it can be done...
That’s crazy. You gotta make decent money to be able to do that though. Not 50k a year

Somewhat younger here ,but I have been paying into 401k for a while ,but what is a ROTH-IRA?
A ROTH IRA is the correct choice if you believe the tax rate today is lower than it will be in the future, hence why the ROTH is taxed today and then tax free in the future. Also, any contributions of your own to the ROTH IRA can be withdrawn at anytime without penalty.

Back
Top Bottom