• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

41 Swiss vetterli

Macvan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
40   0
Reaction score
The cost of shooting an obscure gun....... First thing you will need a bag of 8mm lebel rifle brass or Winchester 348 brass ...60 bucks...then dies 40 bucks and then a custom bullet mold there there are no suitable bullets in production for these guns you will have to cast your own,... The problem is pistol bullets are not long enough or heavy enough. Because the ammo has to be a precise length so it will feed correctly and ride up the elevator to chamber... You can try to crimp the bullet heads at the very end of the case neck but a host of problems with ignition and loose bullet heads in the case neck occur,. This becomes very obvious once you try to reload the ammo with pistol bullets it will convert your vetterli into a single shot..mold 200 bucks,. You will also need a case trimmer capable of trimming a case with a very large Bass if you don't own one you can't make the brass hornady sells a nice one for about a hundred bucks., You will also need a way to Prime these because the base of the shell is so large many hand primer tool don't work Frankford Arsenal builds a nice one for about 80 bucks if you are not already casting your own bullets add the money for all that equipment. And don't forget you must convert it from Rimfire and Centerfire you can do this yourself with a little gun smithing skill if you lack this it's it's another 150.00 bucks... so .400 or 500 bucks and your ready to shoot 41 Swiss ... enjoy I do

.577/450 Martini Henry is an expensive proposition too. Most of the old obsolete chamberings are. But, the looks at the range are fun.
everyone wants to shoot one at the range because for many people it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience....,l reload 577/450 too damn the brass is expensive not to mention the price of the dies .... 43 Beaumont is no cheap Endeavor either 300 bucks for the dies only one company makes them Damm you D4 tool and die..lol

The cost of shooting an obscure gun....... First thing you will need a bag of 8mm lebel rifle brass or Winchester 348 brass ...60 bucks...then dies 40 bucks and then a custom bullet mold there there are no suitable bullets in production for these guns you will have to cast your own,... The problem is pistol bullets are not long enough or heavy enough. Because the ammo has to be a precise length so it will feed correctly and ride up the elevator to chamber... You can try to crimp the bullet heads at the very end of the case neck but a host of problems with ignition and loose bullet heads in the case neck occur,. This becomes very obvious once you try to reload the ammo with pistol bullets it will convert your vetterli into a single shot..mold 200 bucks,. You will also need a case trimmer capable of trimming a case with a very large Bass if you don't own one you can't make the brass hornady sells a nice one for about a hundred bucks., You will also need a way to Prime these because the base of the shell is so large many hand primer tool don't work Frankford Arsenal builds a nice one for about 80 bucks if you are not already casting your own bullets add the money for all that equipment. And don't forget you must convert it from Rimfire and Centerfire you can do this yourself with a little gun smithing skill if you lack this it's it's another 150.00 bucks... so .400 or 500 bucks and your ready to shoot 41 Swiss ... enjoy I do

I know a guy who owns more vetterli's then you....

no I've got four of them..I lied.......well maybe I'm a little jealous

I just looked a two yesterday. Didn't know what they were. Researched it and found them to M78's. Very,very nice condition. Then found out about ammo. One rifle and one carbine. He may want to sell since he ask what they were worth. What's the average going price. Can get pics if necessary. Thanks for the help.
Rusty

I just looked a two yesterday. Didn't know what they were. Researched it and found them to M78's. Very,very nice condition. Then found out about ammo. One rifle and one carbine. He may want to sell since he ask what they were worth. What's the average going price. Can get pics if necessary. Thanks for the help.
Rusty

Well prices are all over the board some people think they are worth gobs of money. I have never paid more then 200 bucks for any of mine. Some gun stores have had them sitting on the shelf for years marked at $500 plus I just make them my same 200 dollar offer and usually the gun store is happy to get rid of it. The real truth is like macvan said it takes about 4-500 bucks to make the first live round for it. Then converting them from rim to center fire so you can actually shoot the ammo you just made. (I have a thread in the c&r section on the conversion of these rifles) https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...rim-to-centerfire-conversion-is-done.1326129/

With all that said pics would be need of the carbine to make sure it's a real one importers chopped a bunch down to try and help sales even back in the day these guns were hard to pawn off on people. If it's a real carbine it could sell for as much as $350 if it's a chopped up long rifle it's worth about 100 bucks the long rifle is 200 bucks or less depending on condition.

Rusty
pics please. I'm always interested in another one if the price is right... funny thing is you never find a guy who selling one that has shot it