• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.410 Turkeys

howl

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
Let's some skinny barrel kills. Every turkey is a trophy!

Attachments

• 95626384_10223037855634461_6836779231544868864_n.jpg
    95626384_10223037855634461_6836779231544868864_n.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 37
Come on now. I can't be the only one.

This is from back before you could get .410 factory turkey loads. A 3.3# turkey gun sounded too good to be true, but I had to try. That's why the solid brass shell handloads. That and class.

Anyhow, I called in a passle of them with jakes and gobblers mixed in. I remember letting them get extra close because # 9 1/2s did not inspire confidence. Then since there were jakes I was waiting for the closest of them to fan out or gobble to avoid a jake. There was a sure enough biggun in the bunch but he was about forty yards and I had never killed one with the .410 then. Today I would've just shot the forty yard bird.

The first one that gave a full gobble got it. When that turkey went straight down and didn't even flop you coulda tossed a baseball in my mouth and not touched a tooth.

Attachments

• Cedar Creek 410.jpg
    Cedar Creek 410.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 29
I watched this bird and his buddy fly the creek. The other bird hung around long enough that I reloaded just to see if I could get away with it. Could have shot but I was tagged out.

I took my then 8yo back a few days later and called it up again, but the boy didn't see the bird. He was looking for it in the woods. It walked right up the road and stood there at 20 yards. I'm whispering shoot and he's trying to see it. I finally picked him up and turned him right at it. Bird wouldn't stand that, of course.

I'll never understand why people don't see turkeys that are in range and plain as day, but having called for plenty of people I've experienced it often enough.

"Why didn't you shoot?"
"At what?"
"You didn't see that gobbler standing over there?"
"There wasn't really a turkey was there?"
"Gosh lee!"

Attachments

• 20190425_073530.jpg
    20190425_073530.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 20
I watched this bird and his buddy fly the creek. The other bird hung around long enough that I reloaded just to see if I could get away with it. Could have shot but I was tagged out.

I took my then 8yo back a few days later and called it up again, but the boy didn't see the bird. He was looking for it in the woods. It walked right up the road and stood there at 20 yards. I'm whispering shoot and he's trying to see it. I finally picked him up and turned him right at it. Bird wouldn't stand that, of course.

I'll never understand why people don't see turkeys that are in range and plain as day, but having called for plenty of people I've experienced it often enough.

"Why didn't you shoot?"
"At what?"
"You didn't see that gobbler standing over there?"
"There wasn't really a turkey was there?"
"Gosh lee!"
LOL, oh well he has plenty of time to learn....If y'all had a good time, that's all that matters

Back
Top Bottom