• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag crimp

MaconGuns

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
Purchased a Lee press and Rcbs dies.
I am trying to get everything set up before I start using powder.

If I just use a crimp it seems I'm crimping to much or to little. The crimp on these looks ok to me but here is the problem.

If I do not run the brass through the die to resize it, the bullet is to loose and can be easily pushed further into the shell with little effort.
If I resize the brass it seems to tight because the bullet expands the brass visibly.

Both cartridges were belled and then crimped.
One was resized the other was not. You should be able to tell from the ring in the brass.
20161225_235511.jpg
20161225_235422.jpg

I have reloaded 44 mag using RCBS dies for over 40 years and had many reloads come out exactly like yours pictured. I always resize and they have always gone bang. Stick to proper loading data, clean and check your cases for size or damage, reload, follow proper safety procedures and then have a fun day at the range.

Are both pieces of brass made by the same manufacturer? Also, who makes the bullet?
Different manufacturers have different specs so the case wall might be a tiny bit thicker from one to another. Also, although your bullets don't look like they are plated, a plated bullet might be .001 larger in diameter than jacketed bullets, i.e., .429 vs. .430. This could also cause this. As long as the finished cartridges chamber properly in the cylinder then you should be good to go.

I see this from time to time when I'm loading 357 and 44 Mag I always assumed it was due to varied case thickness and I've only seen it when I'm loading jacketed bullets. They've always gone bang and never blown up.

Turn your bullet loading die in 1/4 turn down, and the crimp will be as good as needed for a Revolver, for a 44 mag carbine with a tube fed mag, tighter crimps are necc, to keep em from pushing back into the case.

variances in brass thickness, length and projectile diameter may cause this.
just plunk chamber (cylinder) the test round , if needing adjustments then make them and save the test round to set up the dies in the future when using that projectile.
generally IF you are shooting a true magnum you want a pretty good crimp but not to the point of distorting the brass.

I use a Lee crimp die on almost ever caliber I reload for, its very simple to use and does a lot better job than the factory crimper, plus they are only around 10 to 12 $

20161226_144716.jpg
same brass. Is the lee crimp die universal?
I've seen that turning the die to fit a hot factory load will work or turning the die till it hits a empty shell then giving it a slight twist. The factory load with a slight twist seemed to work well for me but, the bullet still is easy to push in unless I resize it . Most forums say they do not resize revolver brass. However, I don't want to over tax the brass and I don't want to have a grenade.

same brass. Is the lee crimp die universal?
I've seen that turning the die to fit a hot factory load will work or turning the die till it hits a empty shell then giving it a slight twist. The factory load with a slight twist seemed to work well for me but, the bullet still is easy to push in unless I resize it . Most forums say they do not resize revolver brass. However, I don't want to over tax the brass and I don't want to have a grenade.
it will fit in almost any press I use them in a RCBS press . if you crimp it with the lee crimp die you will not push the bullet into the case

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/781382/lee-collet-style-crimp-die-44-remington-magnum

Back
Top Bottom