• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag crimp

Yes always crimp the bullets. Especially magnum loads. Without crimps the bullets will most likely move out of the case once you start firing the other rounds in the cylinder. The crimp also helps build uniform pressures in the loads for more consistent groups and velocity.

That asymmetrical swelling is pretty normal with straight-walled cases. .44, .357, .45-70-- even .458 Win-mag. I've seen it with all of those.

Don't sweat it.

I have no idea who does not resize revolver brass, but that's a sure way to have bullets falling out. They must know something I don't.

OP, I loaded 454 Casull for years, with pressures exceeding 44 mag levels. ALWAYS resize the brass. Always crimp the bullet. On my 454 I applied VERY heavy roll crimp. Bullets will move out of brass if neck tension is too low or crimp is not deep enough.

Glad to know that info. Going into this almost blind. Got a few books and been hitting youtube. Will probably pick up 45 acp also. those 3 should hold my interest for awhile.
If I could find a reasonable 6.5 creedmoor I'd do that also.

Just remember that the 45 ACP head spaces on the case neck so don't tighten down the crimp like you do on the 44 mag.
plus its an auto so the feeding needs to be good and smooth without any real rough spots along the case/ projectile meeting point.
I personally taper crimp all my semi auto rounds.

Taper crimp is what you want for semi auto. Just fold back the "bell" with a SLIGHT crimp on the outside edge of the lip.
Resizing semi auto brass is even more important, since neck tension will play a bigger role in holding the bullet.
Use a GoNogo gauge to check loaded ammo. If you do not have one, pull a barrel out of the pistol and drop a cartridge in. Pay close attention to the Max length. If ammo is too long, it might not feed properlyin a semi auto. Too short and pressures will spike.
For optimum accuracy select powder that fills the case almost completly, after a bullet is seated. It will aslo help to prevent double charges.

if you load full power loads you need a crimp good enough to keep the other bullets in the cylinder from walking out under recoil, fire four or five rounds and see if unfired round / rounds are walking out, if so you need more crimp.

Back
Top Bottom