• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 acp for close quarter hunting

1150fps is hardly pushing it for 10mm. You quoted BB for 45acp. Their 10mm is over 1300. That’s where I got my data. I’m not saying it won’t work, I’m saying there are better options. It’s a fact you will lose more deer hunting with a 45acp.

A 180 projectile going 1150 fps out of a 10mm isn't more than an 185 grain out if a 45. At 1150fps
I have hunted exclusively with a handgun for the last 25 years. I have taken deer with 10mm, 357, hot 44 special, 45acp, 44mag, 454 and 500.
If you shoot them in the neck it's over. Which is where I like to shoot. If you puncture both lungs they going down. If you can't hit the vitals or the neck at the given distance you're hunting you shouldn't be hunting with a handgun at that distance. The spear Volume 14 reloading manual shows for the 10 mm 180 grain projectile speeds anywhere from 1099 to 1295. I would venture to say that 185 grain 45 caliber bullet traveling at 1150 feet per second is in that range

1150fps is hardly pushing it for 10mm. You quoted BB for 45acp. Their 10mm is over 1300. That’s where I got my data. I’m not saying it won’t work, I’m saying there are better options. It’s a fact you will lose more deer hunting with a 45acp.
I haven't lost any deer, and for the record I'm not saying 45 ACP can reach the same power level that the 10 mm can reach, all I'm saying is a 45 ACP can meet the mid-range power level of the 10 mm. Again if you shoot the deer in the lungs or in the neck you got him, if you got poor shot placement or you miss that's another story. No 45 ACP is not the ideal choice for deer hunting but it can be an adequate round for deer hunting at close range. Some people may want a 45 for personal protection and deer hunting. I'm advocating for everybody to have a 10 mm a 45, 44 ,454 and a500 and everything else they can possibly buy.

My cousin, who lived in a section of Western New York where centerfire rifles weren't legal for deer hunting, tried both a .45 acp (full sized 1911, with a red dot optic) and a .357 mag revolver (8" barreled Rossi, also with an Aimpoint red dot scope).

He was very successful in bagging the deer, but he limited his shots to about half of what he'd been shooting with his slug shotgun. Instead of taking a shot out to 80 or 90 yards, he'd limit it to 40 when he used either of these pistols.

The bullets worked well. Deer didn't run far.

Back
Top Bottom