• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 acp loads with Bullseye

I load mine to 1.233" OAL. There is a tiny visible amount of shoulder (of the wad cutter) above the mouth with a light taper crimp.

Yep! you need this with a SWC for reliable feeding or else the case mouth will often hang on the feeding.
I use and really like 200 grain in all my full size/commander 1911's.
I use Unique (occasionally), and normally either Accurate #5 or HS-6 , so can't help with personal loading data.
this is an old combo however and there should be easy to find load data for that combo.

I'm using the 200 grain lead SWC from either Missouri, Badman or Dardas and 3.5 grains of Win 231. I'm using a 13 -14 pd spring in my pistol too. It's a decent target load at 25 yards and the brass basically "poops" out of the ejection ports.

I usually load Bullseye around 4.5 gr for general use in all my .45's. 4.0-4.1 works well in a couple of my guns, but others have heavier springs and don't reliably eject Bullseye loads under 4.5.

You can use 4.0 with just about any bullet weighing between 180 and 250 grains.

As others have said: with SWC's, you need just a hair line width of bullet shoulder above the case--if loaded too long, the bullet shoulder will jam into the barrel rifleing. If loaded with the shoulder flush with the brass, the crimp won't hold and the bullet will push back when it hits the barrel ramp.

Back
Top Bottom