• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 acp sd/hd carry round

A few years ago, I switched from 9mm EDC to .45 acp EDC (10+1). I took the new pistol to a local indoor range and asked for two boxes of HP ammo. The guy looked at me like I had 2 heads, wondering why I would shoot these as a round at a range. I told him I needed to determine if the round would feed properly, fire cleanly, and eject properly. "OH". The first ammo stovepiped quite a bit in those 20 rounds and the Hornady Critical Defense was flawless and now resides in my mags. Gotta see what food your weapon likes/dislikes. I think for every 200 or so 'target' ammo I run, I then run a box (20) of self defense ammo. A tad expensive, but I want to know I can still rely on the ammo I am running.

I've been carrying Federal HST +p hollow points for a while now and they have become much more affordable lately. I paid $31 for a box of 20 around the time they were released but now they can be had for less than 75 cents a round. Very good reviews on them and the expansion is very good as well

Probably the one I will go with. I'm not into these new fangled bullets with gothic contours

A few years ago, I switched from 9mm EDC to .45 acp EDC (10+1). I took the new pistol to a local indoor range and asked for two boxes of HP ammo. The guy looked at me like I had 2 heads, wondering why I would shoot these as a round at a range. I told him I needed to determine if the round would feed properly, fire cleanly, and eject properly. "OH". The first ammo stovepiped quite a bit in those 20 rounds and the Hornady Critical Defense was flawless and now resides in my mags. Gotta see what food your weapon likes/dislikes. I think for every 200 or so 'target' ammo I run, I then run a box (20) of self defense ammo. A tad expensive, but I want to know I can still rely on the ammo I am running.

I agree. I'd hate to get into a fire fight with unproven ammo. Training ids useless if your ammo isn't tried and true.

GA Arms has a pretty good price on 230gr Gold Dots (currently $33 per 50pk). I pack a G30S daily and I keep Underwood 230gr XTPs in it. But then I have shot from 230gr WWB all the way up to 230gr .460 Rowland out of my Glocks so I may not have the best opinion to consider.

DSCF1071.JPG

Corbon-45-acp-165gr-powrball.jpg
I like to run Corbon Pow'r ball in my 1911s for a carry round.
165g +p and with the poly ball stuck in the end of them, gives them the same shape as a FMJ.
For the shield 45, I like critical defense.

Federal HST 230gr for me in all my 45 guns. Used to use federal hydra shock but switched. HST has good short barrel expansion as well for the smaller guns. Sgammo.com sells HST and federal hydra shock for .50 to .54 per round depending on the ones you buy. Great price for great rounds.

Thats true, but not great for self defense.
Not BEST for self defense as there are superior bullets to an FMJ but it's proven its effectiveness on the battlefield for over a 100 years.

Just because more effective designs come along doesn't mean the old designs become less effective.

Back
Top Bottom