• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 acp sd/hd carry round

Any non +p JHP round that cycles efficiently will do fine. There is no replacement for displacement!

This ain't no little girl round that needs to have a CNC machine individually carve out material to get optimal separation and multiple wound channels.

Being a moderate-powered cartridge the wide diameter of the 45 ACP bullets produces a decreased tendency to overpenetrate which reduces the projectile s possibility of passing through the intended target with enough velocity to injure another person.

Even in its non-expanding Full metal jacket bullet full metal jacket FMJ version the 45 ACP cartridge has a reputation for effectiveness against human targets because its large diameter creates a deep and substantial permanent wound channel which lowers blood pressure more rapidly

IMG_6130.PNG

A few companies sell defensive hollowpoint ammo in 50 round boxes for about $24 per box.
I'd look at those for an affordable carry round you can burn up at the range too, and not cry over it.

as I never carry a 5 inch 1911 if I do carry one I tend to use a 200 or 185 grain projectile.
now I personally reload my own all copper HP,
but there are several good old school hollow points IF you don't want to break the bank.
Federal classic is a good one and at the weight it has a lot better chance of expanding properly, its not a plus p round so faster recovery and double-triple taps, especially with shorter lighter 1911's.
don't do Glock so no comment on that one.
non of my 1911's are picky about hollow point ammo.

I don't think defensive HP's need to perfectly mushroom to .75 caliber to be effective.
If the tips open up even partially, to .50 or .60 caliber, that's fine with me.
You get more penetration that way, anyway.
I carried Remington Golden Saber 230 gr. HP's in my 5" and 4" guns, when I owned those models.
Testing the rounds in soaked-wet newspaper showed they opened up really wide and penetrated enough.

Back
Top Bottom