• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 acp short barrel ammo?????

Npowers66

Default rank <5000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
356   1
Reaction score
So went to my gun shop wanting to buy a box of .45 SD ammo. Not to big of a selection so I chose a box of 230 gr Speer gold dots HPs. Hop in the truck and make my way home trying to reach it before 6 o clock.;) Hehehe. Stop at a red light so I looked at the box. It said for short barrel on it. The ammo was going in my 4.5" s&w m&p 45 full size. Does the "short barrel ammo" really matter or is my barrel to long???

Thanks

Never heard of such a thing. I'm guessing it's a slightly lighter load and designed so that all the powder burns in, say, 3" or whatever they consider to be "short". Full loads out of short barrels probably leave a lot of unburned powder and create a really big flash.

how about this
"Performance You Can Count On - Every Time"

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition is loaded with bonded core bullets and designed for home defense and personal protection. Bonding the jacket to the core means the elimination of core-jacket separations and superior weight retention. The nickel plated cases create a smoother functioning bullet and increased durability. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 820 fps
Muzzle Energy: 343 ft. lbs.

I would think that maybe it might have a low flash powder in it for less of a fireball ................. but performance aughta be pretty much the same ...

just my 2 cents ;)

Never heard of such a thing. I'm guessing it's a slightly lighter load and designed so that all the powder burns in, say, 3" or whatever they consider to be "short". Full loads out of short barrels probably leave a lot of unburned powder and create a really big flash.

i have heard with a 5 " there is "no flash" but I don't know.

i have heard with a 5 " there is "no flash" but I don't know.

The vast majority of my .45 shooting has been with a full sized P220...I think it has a 4.5" barrel. The only time I've notice any significant flash was with some cheap Blazer ammo several years ago.

I did have a PT145 for a while with a 3.3" barrel or something like that. I noticed pretty good muzzle flash with that one with whatever ammo I was shooting with it.

The vast majority of my .45 shooting has been with a full sized P220...I think it has a 4.5" barrel. The only time I've notice any significant flash was with some cheap Blazer ammo several years ago.

I did have a PT145 for a while with a 3.3" barrel or something like that. I noticed pretty good muzzle flash with that one with whatever ammo I was shooting with it.

YEPP .....PT145 is a fireball maker 4 sure !!

Back
Top Bottom