• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 LC vs .44 mag. Never shot a .45lc, how do they compare???

Rowdyron86

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
69   0
Reaction score
Missing my saa 3 screw ruger sold to fix my truck. I kept the sweeet cowboy holster made in Oregon and found a vaquero .45lc on here that may fit the bill as a replacement but never fired a .45 lc so how do they compare in recoil, accuracy and anything else I can think of?

If you hand load and your action can handle it, 45LC can far overpower a 44Mag. It has a larger case capacity and a bigger diameter bullet. Most factory loads for it are anemic due to light weight actions and manufacturers wanting to lawyer proof ammo. A good strong Ruger revolver or Marlin lever gun can handle pretty hot loads. In a Vaquero it depends on whether it is an early model built on the heavier frame or the newer lighter weight frame. As for recoil, accuracy and everthing else, 44 M and 44LC are pretty similar with standard factory loads with the 45 being a bit lighter usually.

Hand load .45 colt is my preferred revolver round over .44 magnum. I load em hot though. I would venture to say store bought factory ammo is very weak in 45 colt compared to the same 44 mag. Hand load they are about equal.

I roll my own….would rather have the .45 over the .44 just because i have had a good bit experience loading both & I just prefer the convertible over the mags. I have a few good molds and cast for both as well.
Cant go wrong with either - get both FTW ! :becky:

Back
Top Bottom