• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 LC vs .44 mag. Never shot a .45lc, how do they compare???

.45 Colt can be loaded from mild, softball loads, all the way up to loads that duplicate the .454 Casull. Those top end loads will beat the .44 Magnum handily.

How they shoot is totally dependent upon which loads you’re shooting.

I will have to find my load data, but I was pushing 300gr Hornady XTP in a 45C at a faster speed than a 240gr JFP in a 44 Magnum.

Early 454 Casull loads were developed using 45 Colt brass. Then brass was lengthened, so it could not be chambeted in a SAA 45 Colt, and primer replaced with a Small Rifle primer.
H110 and Lil' Gun powders work great in magnumized 45 Colt and 454 Casull.
Shooting it out of 8" 454 Taurus Raging Bull was like shooting 38Spcl out of full size revolver.

Btw a proper name for the cartridge is 45 Colt, not 45 Long Colt.

There’s some great Beta In this thread! Love all the responses and feedback! I have dies and can reload .44 mag or specials as noted. I was thinking this would be a plinking piece more than anything. I do have a .44 lever action and a .357 henry x (killed a doe at 100 yards with that last year) so thinking now to stay with those rounds I can reload .38, .357 and .44.
You guys are great and it’s really appreciated.
will be on the lookout for a saa ruger or other to fill out my holster in .44...

Back
Top Bottom