.45 reloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkDH

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
10   0
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP reloader. At first i purchased Hornady 185g hp to reload and they worked great. A couple weeks ago i purchased 900 rounds of 230 Lead round nose from Georgia Arms to load. For some reason i am having an alignment problem with these. Some of the rounds seem to be coming out tilted. Has anyone else had this problem? I am new at reloading.

You might want to add a little flare before you seat the projectile. Then when you place it by hand try to keep in as vertical as possible. Also might want to crimp just a little to keep projectile from becoming tilted as you put it.

Cast bullets are usually a bit over the .451 diameter specs of the ACP. It's normal, but it may require a little tweaking of your hardware. Maybe an extra quarter turn on the expander die. I'll say this again, I can't imagine learning the basics of loading using a progressive press. Watch everything closely, and congrats on your press, Chuckdog.

Only other think I can think of is, you did change the stem (not sure of correct name) on your seating die? Its the part in the middle, the die set should have come with two, one for flat top bullets like most 185gr's I've seen as well as one for round nose type bullets.

Only other think I can think of is, you did change the stem (not sure of correct name) on your seating die? Its the part in the middle, the die set should have come with two, one for flat top bullets like most 185gr's I've seen as well as one for round nose type bullets.

Good point, the "seater plug" is my term for it. Many times you may need a different shaped one for radically different bullet noses.

Ok thanks. I'll do experimenting and see if i can do better. You are right about the progressive press. I should of started out with something more basic.

I have the same press, and use it for 45 acp, might I suggest you look up an RCBS lock-out die? If you put a double charge in a case it will lock the press so that you cannot load that round. If the reverse happens and a squib load makes it under it will lock the press and prevent that round from being loaded. The rounds that have the proper powder charge progress smoothly with no problems.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=536792

I have the powder cop die which i do monitor often. I loaded some .40's flat nose lead and they came out perfectly. The .45 lead round nose still give me a lot of trouble. Wish i bought flat nose .45's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom