• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 to 10mm conversion?

(M)

Default rank <3500 posts
100% Chuck Norris approved
104   0
Reaction score
I have a glock 30sf for sale cause I've got the ODT bug and am wanting to expand my caliber collection. I really like this gun and have been thinking about a conversion barrel in 10mm instead of selling it. Has anyone done this conversion to their pistols, is it reliable or even a good idea? Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

For the glock 30 .45 acp would I still need a conversion barrel for the super 40? I admit I'm not familiar with this round but will look it up at some point. I like the availability of 10mm and can find it in most stores. I debated between the glock 30 and 29 and ultimately chose the 45 acp 30 because I have a 21 and figured I already have ammo for it. Since discovering ODT and the possibility of changing out guns without the hassle/screwing you get from dealing with gun stores/pawn shops, multiple ones in the same caliber just seems boring. I have also considered the 460 Rowland conversion but that might be a little too ridiculous and expensive.

I have a KKM conversion barrel for my 21 to 10mm. KKM doesn't advertise it anymore, but if you call them they still make it, I ordered directly from them. It has been fantastic and 100% so far.
IMG_0441.JPG

I have a KKM conversion barrel for my 21 to 10mm. KKM doesn't advertise it anymore, but if you call them they still make it, I ordered directly from them. It has been fantastic and 100% so far.
View attachment 1098937

+1 on the KKM. People are probably going to throw rocks at me for bringing this up, but here goes...

*When KKM was advertising their conversion barrel they also had a note to go along with the barrel, on their website, that became known as the "KKM mod" It is simply that they stated in order to get reliable feeding with their conversion barrel that you should, very slightly, file down the .45 extractor in a specific location. (or just replace extractor with one designed for 10mm)

I have used a standard 10mm barrel in more than one G21, and the only mod that I found I needed to make was to install the 10mm extractor. The .45 extractor is just not reliable when shooting 10mm out of a G21. The G30/21 and G29/20 mags have the same outer dimensions so the mag swap is no problem. My G21 performed just fine with the G20 barrel installed, with the 10mm extractor and also with the G21 barrel and 10mm extractor, although it might be a little rough on the .45 brass because it digs into the chamber a little bit further.

All of that being said. I have also had a KKM G21 .45 to 10mm conversion barrel with a 10mm extractor and was very impressed with it. I definitely recommend the conversion barrel over the standard barrel and I would use nothing any cheaper than the KKM to accomplish the mod. If you want to pay more for the conversion, I think that Bar Sto may be offering the conversion barrel, but I haven't been on their site for some time now so I will not attest to that. But Bar Sto will fit their barrel to your slide for a superior lockup.

If you are willing, you can put a LWD 10mm barrel/extractor in your G30 and it will run just fine. But just remember that these are my opinions based on my personal experience and certainly not professional advice. Or... You can get a G29 slide/barrel/extractor combination (complete slide) and just have a complete and dedicated slide to swap out for 10mm. I know that there are a couple of places like "the Glock Store" that sell complete Glock slides.

Please take with a grain of salt and good luck! 10mm Rocks!

P.S. I also recommend doing some research on 45 Super. It is a fantastic round for the G30!

Very good info! Is that with just a mag change or do you swap ejector too?
Mags and a 2 seconds of file work on the .45 extractor. When I bought it the guy explained what needed to be done for 100% reliability and it was that extractor. They sent a little picture with the area circled you needed to relieve, doing this to the .45 extractor allows it to work 100% with the factory .45 barrel and the conversion barrel. Whereas if you just put a 10mm extractor in it would work with the .45 barrel but wear out more quickly. He did say that they had guns with thousands of rounds with no mods, they just found that with some of the outliers that it was needed. So I just did it to mine anyways. Best of both worlds.

Mags and a 2 seconds of file work on the .45 extractor. When I bought it the guy explained what needed to be done for 100% reliability and it was that extractor. They sent a little picture with the area circled you needed to relieve, doing this to the .45 extractor allows it to work 100% with the factory .45 barrel and the conversion barrel. Whereas if you just put a 10mm extractor in it would work with the .45 barrel but wear out more quickly. He did say that they had guns with thousands of rounds with no mods, they just found that with some of the outliers that it was needed. So I just did it to mine anyways. Best of both worlds.

Having owned an shot many rounds through KKM, StormLake, and LoneWolf conversion barrels, all I can say is if you plan on keeping your gun, get the KKM. The StormLake worked pretty good to but had some break in period, and the lone wolfs I had never worked right and when I tried to return it I was cussed out by the manager saying that I was lying and my barrel had to be used in some destruction test cause there was no way that much wear could happen in 200 rounds. He was full of S!!!!, made me so mad that the manger would do that to a customer over the phone. I finally got my return and vowed to never own another LoneWolf overseas made piece of junk. On that same note I know other people that never have a problem with their barrels.

olchevy I was looking at the stormlake conv. barrels, what kind of break in period. Did they not work reliably until broken in?

Back
Top Bottom