• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 vs 10mm SHOOT OUT FOR BEAR DEFENSE

if those are my only two options 10mm as hot and heavy as I can handle. But I would not go into brown bear county with anything smaller than 454 casull

The ballistics of the10mm is nearly identical to a 357 magnum. 357 magnum ammo is half the price of 10mm.

You can practice all day long with 38spl ammo for cheap.

Back to the 45acp vs 10mm, the 2 calibers are identical out to 180 feet. The government did a study and determined one shot of 45acp would kill a cow.

I already own a 45acp and a 357. Why do I need a 10mm?
In each case the 357 was nearly identical to 10MM

15+1 rounds for the 10mm vs 6, 7, or 8 rounds for the 357 mag weights the equation in favor of the 10mm.
I get that you like having 16 rounds ready to go. My question is which one would you actually train with? Nearly $2.00 a pop with a built in flinch factor for 10mm, vs shooting all day with 38spl wadcutters for a fraction of that?

I used to like 10mm till I figured out the 357 ballistics were nearly identical, so I never bought one. Kind of like 40S&W ballistics are nearly identical to 9mm, and 9mm ammo is always cheaper than 40, so why bother?

The ballistics of the10mm is nearly identical to a 357 magnum. 357 magnum ammo is half the price of 10mm.

You can practice all day long with 38spl ammo for cheap.

Back to the 45acp vs 10mm, the 2 calibers are identical out to 180 feet. The government did a study and determined one shot of 45acp would kill a cow.

I already own a 45acp and a 357. Why do I need a 10mm?
Because you CAN.

I sold a 10mm 1911 and had a bunch of ammo left over. Picked up a G20 on a whim. It is a FUN gun to shoot.

I get that you like having 16 rounds ready to go. My question is which one would you actually train with? Nearly $2.00 a pop with a built in flinch factor for 10mm, vs shooting all day with 38spl wadcutters for a fraction of that?

I used to like 10mm till I figured out the 357 ballistics were nearly identical, so I never bought one. Kind of like 40S&W ballistics are nearly identical to 9mm, and 9mm ammo is always cheaper than 40, so why bother?
Mag capacity is not a factor. A bear can close so quickly that you will be lucky to get off two aimed shots. Now you may be able to keep shooting while it is on top of you.

Because you CAN.

I sold a 10mm 1911 and had a bunch of ammo left over. Picked up a G20 on a whim. It is a FUN gun to shoot.

Mag capacity is not a factor. A bear can close so quickly that you will be lucky to get off two aimed shots. Now you may be able to keep shooting while it is on top of you.
Long story short I shot a 300 pound wild boar with a 357JSP at a distance of about 20 feet. The bullet struck about an inch lower than my aim point. A pigs brain is as big as a golf ball. The animal collapsed instantly and I made the critical mistake of taking my eye off the front sight..... if my bullet had gone an inch higher it would have gone through the brain it couldn't have gotten up.

Finding iron sights at danger close range while an animal is charging is lets just say 'NOT GOOD'.

Back
Top Bottom