• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45acp loads

I am running 4.7 Red Dot under a 200 SWC for IPSC Major Power Factor. I have run up to 5.2 and it is about like a factory bulletin terms of recoil. The SWCs are nice for target work.

But if you want it cleaner and better metering from the measure, use Power Pistol or Win 231. Both are the berries.

There are few powders that I've found to meter as well as 231 and performance wise it's all I use in the smaller capacity pistol cases.

Nelsonatlbuilders,

I have been trying Accurate Arms (AA) #2 in my 1911 full size .45 acp pistols for over a year. The powder is a more of a small ball type that meters and measures very accurately. It is very economical as you don't use a lot of it and a pound goes a long way. It's one of the faster powders and I don't use it in .40 S&W. I use it in my 9mm but have found it tends to stress the brass if shot from a suppressed pistol, so I'll go to a slower powder like AA #5 for suppressor use and the issue resolves. I understand it to be the rapid peak pressure pulse due to the rate of burn that does this. Also the 9/.40 Glocks don't like the AA #2 and tend not to cycle 100% of the time. A slower powder like AA#5 or AA#7 has a lot of uses in various pistol calibers and works better in my Glock 9/.40's. My Glock 36 single stack .45 eats it all and AA #2 under a 230 grain FMJ is no exception. I have used a 200 grain Missouri lead SWC under 5 grains of AA#2. I also use a 230 grain Zero FMJ under 5.4 grains of AA#2. The pressure of .45 acp is rather low compared to 9mm or 40 S&W and I have not seen any signs of premature case failures or excess pressures with this faster AA#2 powder.

For quality inexpensive sized, lubed, lead, I have used the Missouri Bullet Company. They use to ship 2,000 bullets freight free but that was 9 months ago. They do discounts for gun clubs, LEO/Military, dealers etc. Just ask.
http://www.missouribullet.com/

How well does Unique meter? I had a horrible time with 800X in my 10mm, so I'm not wanting to go back to the days of weighing every charge.

Large flakes?

Unique is flakey. It meters better than some, but not great. I like its accuracy, but it's not the cleanest stuff I've used either. I use Universal instead now. It's compares well to Unique in versatlity. It works well in just about everything, plus it meters like water, and burns much cleaner. It ain't for top velocity loads, but it delivers some mighty fine accuracy, and gives a good density in big cases like the 45 ACP. HP38/W231 would be my next choice. They are the same powders, and they will deliver a bit more velocity than obtainable from the Universal. I prefer the Universal for my target loads, because of better case fill/load density.

I shoot .45 ACP 230 gr. LRN in my S&W model 625 revolver. (IDPA ESR Division)......The cleanest burning powder I have used is Hodgon "Clays" - start with a 3.2 gr. load and work up to the velocity you like...........4.5 gr. will make major power factor......very accurate, and drops percisely from my Dillon 550..........
......Other good powders are: Tightgroup and Win. 231.

Thanks, W.D. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom