• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45LC vs 44 Magnum (Subsonic questions)

Get yourself a Marlin 1894, and get it rebarreled with an appropriate twist rate barrel as the Buffalo Bore page recommended.. While you're at it, get the new barrel threaded and magazine shortened, and get the action slicked up.

Not a bad idea if it's a project you don't wanna sink a bunch of money into. I don't know if those NEF rifles have the twist rate you're looking for though.
I would actually prefer a single shot for this, I wish more TC stuff was out there because then I could get a bunch of threaded barrels for it.

I was shooting a 265 grain jacketed bullet at what Cor-Bon claimed was 1350 FPS out of a Ruger Blackhawk 45Colt. I never chorned it.

Most of my hand loads came from Hornady and Lyman's "Ruger and Thompson Contender only" section. My brass split about half of the time on its first reloading. I tend to think the brass splitting was caused by a combination of a heavy load and the Lee Factory Crimp Die. The die tended to over work the middle of the case, making it look a little "hour glassed". I never had the problem when not using the Lee die. RCBS is what I normally used. I never loaded anything heavier than 250 grains.

I have read the articles about the versatility of the 45. I bought mine because of their influence, but I found the round's supposed strength to be dependent on the precision of the chamber from which it is fired. My regret was not sticking with the mainstream shooters and keeping it simple with a 44magnum.

I have heard of guys buying 454 or 460 brass and cutting it down for heavy 45Colt loads. Seems like a good way to go, but a lot of work.

Last edited:
Would a 450 Bushmaster work? You could block the AR's gas port to make it a single shot.

mmmmm, I suppose, but that's not really what I'm looking for, I've got enough AR's.

I think If re-barreling is what it came to on a Marlin I would rather just get the Rossi which has the slightly better twist ratio 1:30 vs 1:38.

Does anyone make a single shot 44 magnum with a twist rate other than 1:38?

I highly disagree with the statement on 45 LC brass being weak. That is absolutely NOT true. I have been hot loading 45 Lc brass for years, wnd when I say "hot", I mean HOT. 27 grains of H110 pushing 300 grain hard cast is HOT. It's no weaker than any other brass in properly supported chambers.

Back
Top Bottom