• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

5.56 military crimp

Mattech

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Juat want to get some opinions and tactics on removing the military crimp on 5.56 brass. I bought a lyman small primer pocket reamer. The reviews are very mixed and from what I have researched a swagger is the better option, but its just not in the budget. Anyway, the instructions say only a few turns are needed, but the ones I only turn a little, I have to really squeeze the primer in, and then it usually has a shared squeezed between the primer and the pocket. When I would turn until it slightly put a bevel in the pocket, it seemed like it was very very easy to squeeze the primers in. I haven't shot them yet, but I'm not sure if I reamed them to much, would it allow gasses to escape, or cause the primers to push out? Juat wanted to see what y'all thing is the best method, and how hard should the primer be to squezze in with the rcbs hand held primer installer?

I have a swage kit from C4D. I cannot recommend it.

I use the case mouth de-burring tool to cut just the crimp away. It works pretty well.

I also use the RCBS bench mount swager. It's the same as the Dillon, but the motion rotates sideways vs over the top. If you're using a single stage, you can also get a pocket swaging die.

This is what I use, just a couple turns and the primer fits just like in a commerical case.
http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Deburrin...425419483&sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+deburring+tool

312EhAe4BUL.jpg

Hornady make a good primer pocket reamer. I prefer it over the one above. It works great when you have just a few cases. However, when I have sever hundred to do I use a swager.

Back
Top Bottom