• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

5.56 suppressed/un suppressed options.

gober13

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
478   0
Reaction score
Building a 11.5" 5.56 upper. Mostly will be shot suppressed but sometimes not. Should i go with an IA W.A.R upper or just an adjustable gas block. With an adjustable gas block can you find a sweet dpot to function suppressed and un suppressed or do you have to adjust it everytime you take off the can. Thanks

I run mine plan jane, from what I read most those upgrades don't have much of an effect.

I mean they help but not so much that the human ear can tell.

Adjustable gas blocks are easy to set up. After installation, go to your range with mag you will be using (important). Start with the gas almost completely turned off (about 1 to 1.5 turns open from bottom); load and shoot 1 round in mag. Fire round and see if BCG locked back on unsuppressed gun. If it didn't, turn gas up 1/4 turn and repeat. Once bcg locks back on empty mag twice, turn the gas about 1/4 to 1/2 turn more (no more than that) and you are done. If gun locked back on first shot, turn down gas until it won't and adjust back up. This will make the gun not ammo picky (aka cheap/weak stuff) and lock it down. Put on the can and just verify; but it should lock back bcg with no issues as it creates more dwell time. Make sure you are using your normal mags as I found that PMag's took a little more gas than metal GI mags. I'm guessing due to drag on the bcg.

If you load more than 1 round in mag, the bcg can short cycle and pick up a round sometimes. This is why you only shoot 1 at a time and it must lock open. It doesn't take very long or many rounds to adjust. You may also notice reduce recoil (big on LR308) with less gas slamming the bcg back.

As said in multiple other threads though, just buy a barrel that doesnt have a ragged out gas port. Buy one that is meant for being suppressed and never worry about some proprietary, movable, adjustable crap falling apart of getting stuck or breaking... I went the barrel route and couldnt be happier.

Back
Top Bottom