• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

5.7 vortec rod bearing replace

Was your oil pressure on the low side when hot? If so, rod bearings would be indicated. The staccato knock from loose rod bearings is unmistakable.

I did this to a motor 3 or 4 years ago and have had no problems since. Check every bearing and custom fit to the desired clearance. I went to the high side of new for my clearance as well.

This used to be a standard field repair.

Was your oil pressure on the low side when hot? If so, rod bearings would be indicated. The staccato knock from loose rod bearings is unmistakable.

I did this to a motor 3 or 4 years ago and have had no problems since. Check every bearing and custom fit to the desired clearance. I went to the high side of new for my clearance as well.

This used to be a standard field repair.
I don't know if the pressure was low the last one to drive it was my son. It over heated on him cracked a head. We replaced both heads he drove it for about two weeks when he heard a tapping noise and brought it to me after listening to it I concluded that it was a rod. I'm going to check all the bearings and replace the oil pump. It doesn't smoke

I don't know if the pressure was low the last one to drive it was my son. It over heated on him cracked a head. We replaced both heads he drove it for about two weeks when he heard a tapping noise and brought it to me after listening to it I concluded that it was a rod. I'm going to check all the bearings and replace the oil pump. It doesn't smoke

Every time I’ve put new heads on an old worn out engine
The bottom end goes out pretty soon after

Might wanna start shopping for a good used engine

Rods are doable. Grind a soft steel pin out of something like an 8 penny nail. Grind the head where it will clear the bare journal but catches on the upper bearing when inserted into the oil feed hole in the crank. Use it to spin the upper bearing around and out by turning the crank.

Been lazy or procrastinating haven't even touched it. Did a lot of planning without any follow through.
That sounds like me.
I finally replaced my outside outlet wire today. I used to use an electric leaf blower and the wire didn't like the abuse.
I also finally repaired the rear hatch latch on the Sequoia.
Both of those have been waiting six months at least.

For me, small but annoying repairs are usually best left alone until I feel like doing them. They seem to go quicker and work out better that way.
The last thing you want to do is open it up and not finish it.

Back
Top Bottom