• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

5.7 vortec rod bearing replace

Took the rest of the plugs out and up on Jack stands. That's all the sweating I was willing to put into it this evening. Tomorrow evening I'll try to get the oil drained and the dustcover off and just maybe the oil cooler

Reactions: MRM
Assuming the pan can be relatively easily dropped, rod bearings are easy. Mains bearings are another story. Couple of years ago I did my 4WD Cherokee 4.0 with a leaking rear main seal. 2 piece main seal and rod bearings were easy. Getting all the 4WD stuff out of the way was much harder. That said, however, if the rod is knocking, you may do a lot of work for little return. If the crank journal is rough or out of round, even a little bit, the new rod bearing won't last that long. There used to be companies that would regrind rod journals and bore blocks with the engine in the car. Not sure if that is done today.

I have to do my 99 cherokee sooner or later.
If I do i i’m gonna nix my current lift and do a long arm swap while everything is out of the way.

This evening I was able to get everything out of the way and all the bolts out of the oil pan except one. It holds the transmission line bracket it's a different size than the others so after climbing my fat a** out from under it four times with the wrong size socket all four times I decided I'm done for the day

It could be worse... 5.3L in '67 Camaro

Went from this....
LS3.JPG

To this... 20 minutes run time.

ls4.JPG

Back
Top Bottom