• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.50 cal air rifle

These are popular in countries that pretty much ban "firearms" and will humanely take large game (deer size normally). Some pest control operations purchase them for use in the city limits as the laws prohibiting firearms are preventive for such activities.

Living in South Korea for 4 years, I seen some really fine looking air rifles but they were prohibitively costly for most folks.

I found it very interesting Lewis and Clark used them. The early ones had an air storage capacity and were some of the very first repeating arms used in battle.

The draw back were the bellows (air pumps) they used at the time took a while to pressurize and weren't so popular when engaging enemy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

hey smoothie,
interesting info. i'll have to get the gun out and run a few shots thru it.... like I said I really did just fire the one shot and put it away.... that amount of noise, I was thinking could get my doors kicked in by the swat team.... some places aren't too friendly to shooting inside the city limits. I know all about conventional firearms but sadly lacking in knowledge of air guns.
thanks a lot!

I have to agree with previous poster.... they rarely tell you any details and when they do... the power levels are very low. I also question the noise levels.... I bought a .22 air rifle this last year.....my old Benjamin .22 finally broke for the last time..... forget the brand but it was a mid price range and everyone raved about how quiet it was with a built in suppressor of sorts..... I fired exactly one shot and honestly it scared the crap out of me.... wasn't expecting it to sound like a .22 long rifle..... I had gotten it to take care of a rodent problem, living in town noise is a real concern. so my air rifle sits unused......

Try the heavier-slower pellets, if the pellet breaks the speed of sound (hypersonic) it will make a crack that will draw unwanted attention in town.

These are popular in countries that pretty much ban "firearms" and will humanely take large game (deer size normally). Some pest control operations purchase them for use in the city limits as the laws prohibiting firearms are preventive for such activities.

Living in South Korea for 4 years, I seen some really fine looking air rifles but they were prohibitively costly for most folks.

I found it very interesting Lewis and Clark used them. The early ones had an air storage capacity and were some of the very first repeating arms used in battle.

The draw back were the bellows (air pumps) they used at the time took a while to pressurize and weren't so popular when engaging enemy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

The reason I have Gamos, reliable, accurate and meat getters if you need.

Back
Top Bottom