• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

556 LEAD FREE SLUG INFO

The details are at my shop. What is in the primer and powder compositions is not corrosive - until it is burned. Basically the residual makes ammonia and water. When heated it becomes highly corrosive.

The A1 round destroys the bolt and the gas system. It will pit the bolts. We sent three weapons to Crain for a testing round and they all came back in three weeks with highly pitted bolts. We learned in the testing process that anything we sent them could not be reused on another testing sample.

OH; the A1 round also stretches the barrel threads.... but that is because of pressures.

Came across 120rds of this. any info would be helpful. what grain and manufactor
777aecb73da8f47cc0a4efecb5ea6d27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
All head stamped rem 223. Must be repackaged lead tip

Came across 120rds of this. any info would be helpful. what grain and manufactor

That's a terrible picture. Can't see the tips of the bullets, can't tell if the brass is annealed, poor lighting.

A guess is since the primer is silver in color and I can't tell if the brass is annealed, that this is someone's reloads.

From the pic of the headstamp it appears to be .223 Remington, loaded by the Federal Cartridge Co, in 2014. Ammo in the box looks like softpoint ammo with an exposed lead tip. I guess it could be some material other than lead, but that’s what it appears to be.

That isn’t a military load. Military loads don’t usually have the caliber on them, because they don’t need it. Additionally, even if it did, .223 Remington is not a military caliber.

Only way to be 100% sure on the bullet weight is to pull at least one and weigh it/them.

Brass doesn’t have to look annealed to be annealed. A lot of civilian brass is tumbled after annealing, which gets rid of the telltale color changes in the shoulder area. They don’t care on military brass, so it’s just left as is.

Inconsistencies between the ammo and the markings on the box.

Box says 5.56. Ammo is marked as .223 Remington.

Box says LC. Ammo is marked FC.

Box says LEAD FREE. Ammo appears to have an exposed lead tip.

Box says M855. The bullet in the ammo does not appear to be an M855 bullet.

You have been duped,
I once ran into a man at a GUN show that had a few thousand rounds of blk tip 5.56..... I immediately thought it was genuine 52 grn M995 AP rounds............ when home pulled one( Bullitt ) lacquer good weight 62 bad I pinched one open Just ss109's in nice brass with red lacquer around primer and head stamp. made in yugo If I remember correctly good looking rounds. 233 grade at best not mil ....

I'm almost inclined to believe it's 62gr. TacBond Federal ammo. They come in miltary looking boxes. Not sure primer color though. - I'd have to go to our locker to check.

Also box pictured doesn't indicate manufacturer.

The last line on the box is the lot number. The first part, “LC”, is for Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.

Back
Top Bottom