• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 CM Bolt Gun Opinions

some good advice here.

Anybody have experience with or recommend a browning x-bolt pro long range? Or the SA Model 2020?

I don’t like browning for two reasons.

1. had an asshole cousin who owned and used one, his asshole friends only shot brownings so it’s forever tainted in my mind with spoiled doctor, private school clowns.

2. (real reason) limited after market support

For a lower end build look into savages, they make absolutely awesome rifles. And KRG has a chassis option for them now too, the alpha 180 and it’s a wicked chassis. Not sure what price you consider low end but between the rifle chassis and decent glass you’d be around 2-2500.

low end is under $1k for complete rifle, not including glass. Mid tier would be $2k not including glass. Anything past $2k upper tier. I always thought the GAP “production” rifle at $2400 was hilarious. 95% of shooters would think of that as their full on dream, custom build.

I’ll add the Thompson Center Performance Center T/C LRR to the list. One of the best groups that I’ve ever shot was from one of these in 6.5CM.

Tikka is a solid option.

I have personal issues with the Ruger PR, but they’re shooters.

I’ve shot several of the Daniel Defense DELTA 5’s and every single one was super accurate. The standard model with the stock is well under $2k. The chassis models are over $2k. I’m a fan of cold hammer forged barrels.

low end is under $1k for complete rifle, not including glass. Mid tier would be $2k not including glass. Anything past $2k upper tier. I always thought the GAP “production” rifle at $2400 was hilarious. 95% of shooters would think of that as their full on dream, custom build.
You could be under 1k if you went with oryx. I’m just a KRG fan, as soon as they come back in stock I’m gonna grab that alpha 180 for the savage. If I remember right it’s a folding stock chassis, it’s sweet. I believe it’s around 750 or 800.

For a lower end build look into savages, they make absolutely awesome rifles. And KRG has a chassis option for them now too, the alpha 180 and it’s a wicked chassis. Not sure what price you consider low end but between the rifle chassis and decent glass you’d be around 2-2500.

I agree with this whole heartedly. I have a Savage in .308 that predates any of the their precision rifles, and was one of their first sniper style rifles with the bladed trigger. I’ve won many long range matches against rifles that cost 20 times as much. Even though it’s had several thousand rounds through it, it will still put five rounds through the same hole, from a cold barrel, at a hundred yards. It’s a Model 10 SP, with a 20” heavy Kreiger barrel. Most accurate rifle I’ve ever shot, and that’s saying something. More money doesn’t necessarily equal a better rifle sometimes.

Eric

Friends don't let friends buy savage
I actually used to feel the same way. If you get out of the bargain basement line & into the flagship lines they have come a long way. I have 2 of the model 110 long range hunters (1 short action & 1 long action). With rifle, good glass, & rings you can be in around the $2500 range or less. Shoot it as it comes for a while & then spend $ on a better stock & some smithing if preferred but the accufit modular stock is pretty good as is.

Back
Top Bottom