• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 creedmore build

Savage7mmMag

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
For all you guys and gals out there that has put together a 6.5 creed: what barrel length y'all use? I know I want 1:8 twist, but I dunno about the length? I would like to keep it short, just because I would like to put a can on it one day. Max on a regular day would be 250 yards but I would like to
stretch it's legs on the weekend at 700 yards.

I've had several different barrel lengths, but 22" is my favorite all-around barrel. 22" is also very nice with a suppressor. Although I've shot it to a mile, it's really about a 12-1300 yard capable gun in the south east with 130 or 140gr pills at 22" or so.

Shorter is nice for handiness, and if 700 yards is as far as you want to go, an 18-20" barrel would be very handy and you wouldn't necessarily need the extra length for velocity. If you want to use it for hunting, the short barrel would be nice as well, but also have plenty of energy for a couple hundred yard shot.

I've had several different barrel lengths, but 22" is my favorite all-around barrel. 22" is also very nice with a suppressor. Although I've shot it to a mile, it's really about a 12-1300 yard capable gun in the south east with 130 or 140gr pills at 22" or so.

Shorter is nice for handiness, and if 700 yards is as far as you want to go, an 18-20" barrel would be very handy and you wouldn't necessarily need the extra length for velocity. If you want to use it for hunting, the short barrel would be nice as well, but also have plenty of energy for a couple hundred yard shot.

Thanks for this! I'm probably going 22" just because I don't wanna drop Money and not be happy.

I have mine at 22 inch for the same reason you are thinking. Running about 2725 or so with 140 eldm's, but pushing it a bit. When I have it re-barreled, ill probably go to 26 inches for some more velocity.

If max shots at 700 or so, you should have no problems at 20 or even 18 inches. You'll certainly lose some velocity, but have no problems at that range. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a thousand either. If short is the goal, go short.

Back
Top Bottom